Rooster Question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by CloggingChicken, Mar 23, 2009.

1. CloggingChicken

CloggingChicken Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2009
    Hendersonville, NC
    New to the chicken scene. We just ordered 3 Buff Orpington Pullets, 3 Golden Lace Wyandotte Pullets, 3 Silver Lace Wyandotte Pullets and 1 Silver Lace Wyandotte Cockerel. I am not sure if the rooster will be very loud or friendly. We ordered them for egg laying, the occasional chick, and family pets.
    Does any body have advice on temperament of the male and if they are very loud? They won't ship until June and I know that it will be a while before they go out of the house, but I wanted some opinions before they arrive.[​IMG]

2. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    All roosters are loud, some are just louder than others.

For your temperment question, check out my page on roo behavior, the link is in my sig line.

3. chicken master

chicken master Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2009
    South carolina
    The rooster will crow in the mornig.

4. Mourningdove

Mourningdove Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2008
    Cleveland, Tn.
    Quote:yes and sometimes all day long!

5. TennesseeTruly

TennesseeTruly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Church Hill, TN
    Our Ricky crows whenever he feels like it! LOL Early in the morning, later in the morning, mid afternoon, early evening, like I said, whenever he feels like crowing.

But I love it!! And him!

Laurie

6. CloggingChicken

CloggingChicken Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2009
    Hendersonville, NC
    Crowing is pretty much acceptable to me. Seems like a little pay back for our neighbors yiping miniature mop dog. [​IMG]
    One of our friends told me that they had a BO rooster and it was quiet with an occasional crow. They also talked about how friendly the bird was. I was hoping for the same type of experience with the Wyandotte, although I know that each bird is different.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by