Rooster question

becky_animals

Chirping
Feb 25, 2019
I have 12 assorted banties, 3 of which are roosters. One of them is definitely dominant and will chase the other roosters off a hen when she squawks at being mated. But all 3 roosters are friendly to people, including my 6 & 11 year old boys who check eggs daily.

I suspect once breeding season really starts in spring the roosters may either fight or over-use the hens, but since they are nice roosters I hate to dispatch the extras.

So - if I set up a small second yard to keep two roosters in, where they cannot see the hens or other rooster but can hear them, is it likely they'll fight each other in the rooster yard? I would rotate which rooster is with the hens and which ones are in the rooster pen.

Is it likely that the rooster left with the hens will become cocky, since he's alone, and start attacking people?
(My previous experiences with single roosters says they'll attack people...)

I would like to do the easy answer - get more banty hens and keep the flock together - but since banties aren't sold sexed, I'd likely have even more roosters.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230201-105505_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20230201-105505_Samsung Internet.jpg
    555.1 KB · Views: 5
At any time of the year where there are heightened hormones there will be more extreme reactions. That does not mean though that you HAVE to separate the roosters. Keep a close eye on them, if you don't like what you're seeing, then take the measures you deem necessary, because we can give you recommendations all day long, but at the end of the day only you know the full story

if I set up a small second yard to keep two roosters in, where they cannot see the hens or other rooster but can hear them, is it likely they'll fight each other in the rooster yard?
With living animals I can't give you any guarantees but many people are successful with what we call a bachelor pad.

I would rotate which rooster is with the hens and which ones are in the rooster pen.
This has some risks. They will decide which one is dominant. Sometimes that is not a big deal, very little drama. Some people manage their breeding roosters this way. Sometimes it can develop into a serious fight. As Fluffycrow said, go by what you see. If it is not working out do something different.

Is it likely that the rooster left with the hens will become cocky, since he's alone, and start attacking people?
(My previous experiences with single roosters says they'll attack people...)
With living animals I can't give you any guarantees but sometimes single or multiple roosters will attack people with no prior warning, sometimes they don't. Again, go by what you see.

I would like to do the easy answer - get more banty hens and keep the flock together - but since banties aren't sold sexed, I'd likely have even more roosters.
As prevalent as that myth is on this forum, more hens usually do not solve those problems. Roosters will fight over 20 hens as fast as they will fight over 1. You can have barebacked hens or over-mated hens with 30 hens or just a couple. Typically these problems are with immature juvenile cockerels more than with mature roosters but I can't give you any guarantees. Just be prepared to act if you see a need to act.

MyPetChicken sells sexed bantams if you are in the US. They are not 100% accurate just like hatcheries but unlike me they give some guarantees.

How old are your roosters? I don't know if they are established in what will be their adult personalities yet, but I think you have a good chance of keeping the boys with the girls. As they mature they will settle some. (Not sure if they are in full teenage stage yet) The dominant male will get more secure in his role and the others will learn their place. Once this happens fights become rare. A good dominant roo can even keep the others in check so the hens are not over mated. (Like others have said no guarantees with live animals)
I rarely see fighting in my coops except when cockerals first hit maturity. Large fowl coop is currently 29 hens, 4 roos. Silkie coop 3 roos, 7 hens, 15 immature birds.

How old are your roosters?
They're somewhere around 6-9 months old. Found the chicks at the feed store sometime last summer but don't remember exactly when. And they looked so cute, and my little chick-bin was just sitting there empty... You know how it goes=)

Thanks everyone. Guess I'll see what they do and then decide. All 3 of them are nice roosters, so I have hopes they'll peacefully coexist, even with hormones raging!

Back
Top Bottom