Rooster question

Julie1977

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jan 29, 2014
Northern California
Hi, I am also new to raising chickens, I have 8 hens and a very very busy rooster. He has been more busy with one hen it seems and she is starting to get a bald spot on the top of her head and has a tiny little scab as well. What do I do? Should I separate him for awhile or give him away before he possibly draws blood? Any advice? Help!
idunno.gif

Hi, I am also new to raising chickens, I have 8 hens and a very very busy rooster. He has been more busy with one hen it seems and she is starting to get a bald spot on the top of her head and has a tiny little scab as well. What do I do? Should I separate him for awhile or give him away before he possibly draws blood? Any advice? Help!
idunno.gif

First of all... WELCOME TO BYC. Glad your here.

Yes, definitely separate them. If it was me, I would take the one hen and get her a friend to keep her company and put them in a pen separate from the rest of the flock. That way the roo can still do his duties. Let the girl heal. If the roo is able to draw blood from her, the entire flock will be attracted to the color of the blood and everyone will begin to peck her which could cause an infection. After she is healed up and feathers are growing in, go ahead and put her and her friend back in with the rest. I might even alternate the "friend" every few days so thy don't lose their position on the totem pole.

Good luck..

Thank you so much for the nice welcome! And your advice sounds like a great idea.. I do know that if there is blood everyone else will peck at the wound and she is such a dear sweetie for that to happen to her :) Thanks again

Back
Top Bottom