Rooster question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by norcalsteel, Sep 18, 2014.

1. norcalsteel

norcalsteel Out Of The Brooder

Oct 27, 2013
    I don't have a rooster so over the summer I let a broody hen hatch some mutts from a local egg seller who has roosters.i was 99.9% sure I had all pullets. Today they are just over 3 months and Ive been noticing the same white chicken mounting one of my older brahmas. I've noticed this on multiple occasions to the point of fall off, so now im assuming my pullet is a rooster even know there not a large comb or tail. So whats the latest someones had a rooster go without crowing at all and at what age will this roo be fertile?

2. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Pictures? Males have pointy hackle feathers, and do start crowing at some point, which varies a lot. I've got a cockrel who's 22 weeks old and no crowing, and had a Fayoumi cockrel who started at four weeks! He probably won't be fertile until all the male traits appear (I think). Mary

1 person likes this.
  3. Codilynn

Codilynn Out Of The Brooder

Sep 18, 2014
    When I didn't have a rooster, one of our hens would "mount" the other hens. I am not sure why but she did :/

1 person likes this.
  4. ShockValue

ShockValue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2010
    West Sound, Washington
    Hens can 'mate' as a sign of dominance. However 12 weeks is still pretty young, so it wouldn't surprise me at all if he just hasn't crowed yet. Mine didn't start until about 18 weeks.

2 people like this.
  5. norcalsteel

Oct 27, 2013
    i still think its a female, i'll try and get a pic up later if I can. i never actually seen a rooster and hen mate but it cant be much different then my ducks...lol.

6. norcalsteel

Oct 27, 2013
    [​IMG]

7. huntergirl25

huntergirl25 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 9, 2013
    Michigan
    The one in the back does look to have more male related characteristics

1 person likes this.
  8. norcalsteel

Oct 27, 2013
    I thought so too however the one in front is doing the mounting.

9. huntergirl25

Dec 9, 2013
    Michigan
    It's hard to tell from that pic because it is so far away what type of combs do your chickens have?

10. huntergirl25

Dec 9, 2013
    Michigan
    My buff rooster does not have any male feautures/feathers other than his comb

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by