Rooster questions

Is there benefit in having a rooster for protection? Keeping hen fighting down? I really don't know except what I have read and that's not much.
There's not much, the rooster will alert to predators, sometimes, and by protecting the flock he often loses his life. Squables happen in rooster flocks or non rooster flocks.
Which is best for laying brown eggs or would you recommend different breeds of hens? We are just looking to have eggs and no breeding right now. I have looked into Marans and Rhode Island Reds.
Most chickens lay tan-brown eggs, so you have many options. Why brown specifically?

I have a question about roosters and can you have a different breed rooster in your flock? I don't want to raise chicken yet and I just want them for the eggs and pets for now. I just don't know if it affects the eggs or hens.
The rooster has no effect on the eggs laid by a hen.

Hens will lay eggs even with no rooster in the flock. If you have a rooster, the hens will lay eggs that are the same color, same size & shape, and same quantity as if there were no rooster.

The rooster does affect whether the eggs are fertile (able to hatch chicks). He also has an effect on the chicks that hatch from the eggs.

The reason I am asking this question is I have been reading that some roosters are better flock protectors.
If you just want eggs, and hens for pets, then I would skip the rooster. Good fences and are much better than a rooster for protecting your hens from predators.

Even the biggest, strongest rooster is still a chicken. Any predator that likes to eat chicken will be happy to eat a rooster or a hen. Some roosters can warn the hens so they can hide (mostly useful against flying predators like hawks.) But for any predator that comes at night, a rooster will be no help at all. And he will not be very useful against a daytime predator that chases (like a dog) or sneaks up and grabs, either.

Is there benefit in having a rooster for protection? Keeping hen fighting down? I really don't know except what I have read and that's not much.
All of my chickens and guineas are turned loose every day to free range. It is important in my situation to have roosters. I have watched my flock when they are out and the roosters are always watching for danger and will sound an alarm even if it's just a sparrow flying over. They are likely to run for cover just like the hens do if there is a strange dog or coyote sneaking up on the flock. So they aren't likely to save all your girls all the time.

A good rooster will break up hens that are fighting, or younger roosters that are fighting each other. He will try to keep peace in the flock.

A rooster is a personal choice. I love the sound of a rooster crowing. That's my country music. And I love to hatch and raise the little ones. So it works for me. But every situation is different. So good luck with your birds and welcome to BYC. :old

Good high alert breed roosters are:

Black Sumatra(Can have human aggressive tendencies, but not all)

Malays(Dog like, sort of bossy)

American, & Old English Games(Getting some eventually, one day)

Red JungleFowl, or Red JungleFowl/Hybrids(Very Active, & fast)

Liege Fighters(Another Dream chicken)

It's your choice if you want a rooster. Roosters are fun, lots of mine are big babies, only a few jerks.

Good high alert breed roosters are:

Black Sumatra(Can have human aggressive tendencies, but not all)

Malays(Dog like, sort of bossy)

American, & Old English Games(Getting some eventually, one day)

Red JungleFowl, or Red JungleFowl/Hybrids(Very Active, & fast)

Liege Fighters(Another Dream chicken)

It's your choice if you want a rooster. Roosters are fun, lots of mine are big babies, only a few jerks.
I would add Black Copper Maran or some sort of Copper Maran.

Back
Top Bottom