Rooster questions!

birdbrain5

Songster
12 Years
Aug 2, 2010
Im not sure how old my chickens are bc i got them at an auction. I do know they are young, my 3 RIR are definetly not full grown. My cochins are young too I believe, but I think they are bantams rather than standard. Anyhow, Im pretty positive one of my cochins is a roo, but my reds i cant tell. I was told they were all hens, but when I got them home I saw written on thier box "2 roosters, 1 hen". Dont know bc they are small. Does anyone know how long it will take before I can tell for sure, or actually- does anyone have any pictures of thier adolesant RIR, roosters and hens, so I can get an idea. How old will a rooster be before he starts crowing? Thanks

Last edited:
My RIR was obviously a rooster at 6 weeks and started crowing at 10 weeks . Compare them to each other. The comb and wattles on mine grew very quickly and were dark red from the beginning. The pullets had a pale pink face/comb. The red coloring was what clued me in.

Sorry I can't post any pictures of Tetrazzini, my RIR cockerel. I misplaced my camera that has shots of him on it.

I could definately tell on my RIR around the 5-6 week mark. Their combs are bigger and redder. My big boy RIR hasn't crowed in front of me yet! He's 18 weeks, but not the dominant roo. I have a little banty Cochin Roo that crows, and he's only 3 weeks. Go figure. I don't have a digital camera...yet... Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom