Rooster questions

I have 3 RIR roos and they are not aggressive at all. They are also awesome flock protection. They take good care of their hens and they are all "gentlemen" when it comes to breeding. I agree, however, that the best reasons for having a roo are free ranging and chicks. Otherwise, they're just eye candy!

ETA: On second thought, good "eye candy" may be the best reason after all! I have some mixed breed roos here that I really should rehome or cull, but they are just so gorgeous I keep them around for the "ahhh" factor. I could sit and watch them strut all day!

Last edited:
Quote:
Hamburg chickens tend to be flighty I would think roosters to be a little high strung too. My Araucana rooster is our best guy. Trust him with my son or anyone bringing children here.

64019_dscn1472_1150.jpg

I would not put a single bird several weeks younger in with a group of 14. That is going to be a fight, and the roo won't be big enough or have enough hormones to come out on top.

It would be better to wait to get the rooster, or get an older rooster. A baby rooster thrown into an established flock won't work well.

MrsK

My RIR, named Pot Pie, is Satan reincarnated but he is beautiful and very protective. Will take on a snake etc & lets me know if there is a predator in the yard. If he goes after my kids again he will will be in the crockpot.

Mrs. K :

I would not put a single bird several weeks younger in with a group of 14. That is going to be a fight, and the roo won't be big enough or have enough hormones to come out on top.

It would be better to wait to get the rooster, or get an older rooster. A baby rooster thrown into an established flock won't work well.

MrsK

In an earlier reply it was suggested to wait till my hens were sexually active, does that mean when they start laying or wearing lipstick? My birds free range all day, knock wood, no casualties as of yet.

I would like to get a roo asap, I'm mulling two choices, please vote and help me decide

1. Get a 6 month old rooster now

2. Wait till my hens start puttin out, then add a year old rooster

I don't know much about chickens, other than what I've read here, please help! Thanks​

Back
Top Bottom