Rooster Questions

Calendula

Songster
7 Years
Aug 15, 2014
We have two roosters - a Buff Orpington who is about a year and a half old, and his young, three-month-old son who is a mix between him and Ameracuana.

I have read in multiple places how to get two roosters to get along, and I think that these two will do so quite well. We have thirty hens, the chickens are free-ranged, and both father and son have never shown any sign of aggression towards us or other chickens. (Actually, our big, tough rooster is scared of baby ducks, so I think we'll be fine.)

However, I read somewhere that if they are away from each other for too long that, when they're reintroduced, they'll forget that they've known each other and start fighting or something along those lines.

I took the Buff Orpington to fair this year and I would like to take him again next year, but that would involve him being separated from his son for a week.

Is there anything that I can do to make the two of them get along when we return?

This is one of those odd questions that I want to give you a definite answer, but can't. I have two roosters (one about a year old, the other about 5 months old) and I have never had a quarrel between them that wasn't just giving the other one "the look". However, others have problems introducing roosters and them being very aggressive. With 30 hens, however, I see no reason for them to be aggressive to each other. If you are very worried, introduce them through some kind of fencing- dog kennels work great.

I'm not worried about the two of them getting along now. As it is, little Trouble is fitting in well with the flock. I don't how he'll do after we bring back the rooster since he's still at fair, but I'm sure it'll be fine. They've been able to see each other since Trouble was born. (He was kept with his mother and sister in a separate pen until just a few days ago.)

What I'm worried about is when I separate them if they'll be able to get along again when reintroduced, or if I'll have to get rid of one of them.

I think Trouble (cute name) is too young for the rooster to feel any way threatened by him. So when he comes back he will not be attacking his son lol :3 Besides that when he reaches maturity 15 hens each is more than enough

And as long as they can see each other when separated they will not get up to anything when reintroduced. Again with the 15 hens each thing they will probably be able to stay out if each others way

Alright, thank you. I'm a little new to all of this rooster stuff. Never actually kept one before after I got attacked repeatedly by multiple roosters, but.... I'm glad to have my boys.

So, what happens when Trouble does reach sexual maturity and I happen to separate them? When I reintroduce them, should I keep one separated so they can see each other beforehand or do I just put them back together and they'll figure it out themselves?

Sorry for all the questions... I just want to be completely prepared for everything in their future.

There can still be troubles when the young ones raised with the flock reach maturity. It often depends on the roosters themselves. I have had them peaceful and also struggle with the alpha. Separations even if short can cause a disruption on the rooster pecking order. A day or so before reitroduction will help. Again it depends on the situation. You never really know how it will work out. The number of hens has little to do with how violently they decide on who is in charge, and they will have to decide that.

Last edited:
Ge thru the next year first, you've got a long way to got before you even know if they will coexist.....then you can think about the fair situation.

I would worry about taking them to the fair, and then bringing him back and putting him back in the flock. Easily a disease could be picked up from exposure to other chickens, and then brought back to your flock. You would have to quarantine them or take a large risk.

If the older rooster was gone a week, the younger rooster is going to have a hay day if he is sexually mature which he will be next year. He is going to have all those hens, and he is most likely NOT going to be willing to give them up to the senior guy. So one of two things will happen, the older rooster will take the second position probably after a fight, or they will continue to fight. Memory is VERY short lived in a chicken. So your older roo, will not remember his ladies either.

Flocks HATE change. Taking out birds or adding birds, new set up, upsets the flock. They will be jittery and crabby for a couple of days.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom