Rooster randomly attacks

My buff Orpington rooster randomly attacks me. His behavior is crazy and so random! I never know his mood! I love him and he hasn't done major damage or anything. Just minor scratches. My husband he will do damage to him like deep cuts. Does anyone have an insight on why he is like this? He seems edgy, it's been hot here to.

Ours started to do this when we first gave him his hens. We wait till he is calm then pick him up and carry him around. I pet him and talk soothingly. He struggles at first but then gives up lol. Usually he falls asleep so I set him down and give him a treat. I only have to do this every couple days to keep him in line. Careful though. I think my other roo thinks I'm a hen. He keeps doing his wing dance at me whenever I set him down. He is not aggressive whatsoever though so hopefully he just likes me as his owner hahahaha

Lol that's funny about the wing dance! He will not let me touch him I really want to hold him Bc he is so fluffy and cute
1f601.png
but he is huge and I think that intimidates me some, plus he is fast
1f633.png
I want to try to catch him one day to show him I won't hurt him and that he can't fight me lol

Lol that's funny about the wing dance! He will not let me touch him I really want to hold him Bc he is so fluffy and cute
1f601.png
but he is huge and I think that intimidates me some, plus he is fast
1f633.png
I want to try to catch him one day to show him I won't hurt him and that he can't fight me lol

He is going to fight you at first because you are emasculating him lol. But in the end they like it. Toss some grapes down on the ground and grab him gently. It's a good sign if he runs from you. He is being submissive. :)

A human aggressive rooster is not a "good rooster." Odds are, with him being a 'stray' was that he was dropped off because he's an aggressive pos and the former owner likely didn't have it in him to send him to the chopping block. Roosters get 1 pass (at best) if they show aggressive behavior. They get the option to correct their attitude and if they waste it, they're culled. This includes exhibition quality birds. There are too many legitimate good quality roosters out there that are forced to be rehomed or culled because of zoning regulations to allow one with terrible behavior to terrorize and/or attack their owners.

If you want/need a rooster, I'd replace him with another one. If you don't need a rooster, I'd send him to freezer camp...

Do you free range? I'm starting a bachelor pen and was wondering if I can add new boys or not? Sorry to steal this post but it's hard info to come by lol

Some free-range, some confined to pens with several hens, some with a single hen, some isolated. Also a bachelor group of 6 six that started out as a dozen. All I raise both by using hens and with incubator / brooder.

This thread is like watching drunk guys playing with dynamite.

Last edited:
I think all Orpingtons have a tendency to be aggressive. I have a aggressive Buff orp right now too. he has gotten a lot better though. Every time he flogs you, grab him by the legs and hang him upside down. keep on doing whatever you were doing if you can with one hand. Make sure his girls see it. He gets embarrassed and leaves you alone.

Some free-range, some confined to pens with several hens, some with a single hen, some isolated. Also a bachelor group of 6 six that started out as a dozen. All I raise both by using hens and with incubator / brooder.

This is thread like watching drunk guys playing with dynamite.

Yes we are hatching with an incubator this year. Hoping to use broody's next year.

Back
Top Bottom