Rooster randomly attacks

shannon84

Crowing
7 Years
Jun 1, 2016
Indiana
My buff Orpington rooster randomly attacks me. His behavior is crazy and so random! I never know his mood! I love him and he hasn't done major damage or anything. Just minor scratches. My husband he will do damage to him like deep cuts. Does anyone have an insight on why he is like this? He seems edgy, it's been hot here to.

You are part of the pecking order or has learned you feed him when he attacks. If you are not familiar with such behavior and how to avoid promoting it, then I suggest you swap him out for another rooster. Effort required to correct exceeds cost of acquiring another with the behavior.

That's a good roo, he's protecting his girls.
You just need to set him straight, that your not a threat to his girls, easier said than done and may be too late depending on how old he is.
I don't have a roo so I can't give you advice on how to do that.
I have heard if you spend a lot of time with them from day 1 that they are more likely to not see you as a threat when they mature. But every roo has their own personality.
My neighbor had a banty roo my mother gave them that was at the bottom of the pecking order in my mother's flock. He turned into the meanest roo. I couldn't go to my neighbors without being attacked. I had to call and they would lock him up, so I could come over.
Good luck. GC

He was a stray rooster that was dropped off on us Easter week, and I kinda fell in love with him because he was so sweet and followed me everywhere so of course I decided to keep him as a pet, ( Im a huge animal lover) I got him a few laying hens to keep him from being loney. So his behavior started to slowly change to bad. Like two different roosters
1f601.png
I just want him to respect me

Lol oh no! I hope Franklin (my rooster) doesn't get that bad. He was the sweetest and most loving rooster ever, then with the hens he slowly change. He likes me the most out of everyone, but this is the second time he attacked me but he barley got me I think he hurt my feelings more then anything lol. He is so huge and it's pretty scary when he gets mean
1f601.png
i ignored him all morning bc he was wanting out to free range so as soon as I let him out he got me. Totally shocked.

That's a good roo, he's protecting his girls.
You just need to set him straight, that your not a threat to his girls, easier said than done and may be too late depending on how old he is.
I don't have a roo so I can't give you advice on how to do that.
I have heard if you spend a lot of time with them from day 1 that they are more likely to not see you as a threat when they mature. But every roo has their own personality.
My neighbor had a banty roo my mother gave them that was at the bottom of the pecking order in my mother's flock. He turned into the meanest roo. I couldn't go to my neighbors without being attacked. I had to call and they would lock him up, so I could come over.
Good luck. GC
Thanks you
1f60a.png

If it makes any difference, I have 50 roosters at any given time. :old. Wow do they all get along?! Non of them attack you? When I was a teen my parents had roosters they all tried to attack me
1f633.png
. I was starting to think they are all crazy?
1f602.png

You will not find this sustainable.:idunno

There is a thread here that addresses how to let a rooster know he's not the alpha in the flock. Track it down, read it and try to advice. Might work.
if not, chicken soup.

Back
Top Bottom