Rooster randomly attacks

Exactly! I walk a 70 pound pitbull mix with one finger hooked on the leash. I'm 5'1", and barely 90lbs. People are amazed. It's all about how you carry yourself, and your mindset. However, there are some roosters that are just plain mean and crazy...

Put a leash on 'em and take 'em for a walk....
wink.png
Mean and crazy is still only 2 ft tall or less and has no teeth. Can't be more dangerous than a pit. And I'm betting most pit folks will claim that there are no bad pitties, just bad owners. Same could be said for roosters, I imagine.

I've raised pit bulls for 12 years or more and the meanest one I had was not raised by me, but I do believe some can be born bad with not proper breeding ect.

I know this doesn't mean anything, but the most beautiful animals I've ever owned are always the meanest ugh
1f602.png
1f614.png

We have a very human aggressive wheaten Maran roo. He was free ranged with a larger roo to hen ratio and he was lowest in the po. At 2yrs he's incorrigible and we will dispatch him. I don't know that they get better past a certain point. Be careful.

So
Oops, I think something happened to the rest of your message!!! The suspense is killin' me!!! [/quote. Oh I'm so sorry, my phone got wet last week so it's been acting up lol yes I know which hen it is now laying the soft egg shell she's my older over weight hen. I read somewhere that you can give them a human calcium supplement so I just now gave it to her with some buttered bread. Hopefully I'll get an hard egg in the morning
1f600.png
would that have anything to do with the fact she is older (like 4) and over weight? She is a big eater she will stuff her mouth so full of food she will have a hard time getting her food down
1f62c.png

Laying feed should have calcium in it so even if one of the hens isn't eating the oyster shell she should be getting it from the feed. One of your ladies might just be laying a thin-shelled egg and it breaking when laid of getting broken as they step into or out of the next box.

I read a post by someone the other day that gave a half of a calcium supplement (of some brand) to a hen that had been laying a soft/thin shelled egg. They put the half of tablet inside some peanut butter and the hen inhaled it. They said that the next day the hen laid a normal, solid-shelled egg. It didn't say how long that one tablet made a difference in the egg shells of that hen but it did caution not to give the supplement regularly in that it could be hard on the hen's kidneys.

Maybe you could sprinkle a little oyster shell in with their feed and see if that makes a difference.

And, it *could* be that one of the hens are intentionally breaking the egg...does it look like most of the yolk and whites are there? No egg on the beak of one of them?

Just some thoughts...

Best wishes,
Ed

No, seems like a Caltrate(?) or something...I can't remember exactly. But, I just did a search here on BYC and there are TONS of discussion about using a calcium supplement. Check this link out... https://www.backyardchickens.com/newsearch?search=calcium+supplement+tablet

Best wishes,
Ed
<chuckle> I don't know where you might have read that about using a calcium supplement.<grin>

I'm glad you at least have figured out which one is the problem girl. Being overweight isn't good for her, but I'm not sure what that might have to do with thin shelled eggs. Hopefully someone else will chime in with some information about it.

Ed

I don't know where you might have read that about using a calcium supplement. I'm glad you at least have figured out which one is the problem girl. Being overweight isn't good for her, but I'm not sure what that might have to do with thin shelled eggs. Hopefully someone else will chime in with some information about it. Ed
. Haha yes thanks for that helpful link
1f604.png
yeah I don't know how to get her to lose that weight
1f633.png
other then letting her free range a few hours a day

Back
Top Bottom