Rooster Recording?

ClareScifi

Songster
8 Years
Mar 30, 2011
I'm at my wit's end as to what to do about my broody girl under the house. I can't get under there to check on her well-being, and she's on unfertilized eggs. I don't think she's eating much at all. She does get off the nest a bit, because I see her beak, but she doesn't stay long, and I'm afraid she's not eating and drinking enough. I haven't seen her come out once, and I don't think she has.

I spilled some pellets in an area where she can get them, I think, so she is probably eating those.

I read that if you shine bright lights on the nesting area, that might help, since they like their brooding spot dark, so I'm going to try a spotlight tomorrow, but it looks like she may have moved the nest back farther, because I can't see it tonight. The other night I shone a flashlight and could barely make it out, the eggs and her lower feathers over them, but tonight I can't see a thing.

I think hosing her with water is out, because I think it would just make her angry, and she might not come out and get chilled from the water.

I wondered whether playing a recording of a rooster crowing might get her out? Does anyone have any experience with this?

This is her first full-fledged brooding episode, and I'm afraid she's the type of chicken who may starve to death, or die of dehydration, or roosting mites.

I encourage her nonbroody sister to go under the house near where she is, in hopes that might encourage her sister to come out, but so far, no luck.

If I could see the eggs, I wonder whether I could get a stick and break them under her. I doubt I could find a stick that long, though.

Any other ideas? I wonder whether if I played a rooster recording continuously, if that might drive her out? Would bringing in a live rooster help? If I could get close enough to the nest to put fertilized eggs on it, I would, but I can't.

All suggestions will be appreciated.

I don't think it would help honestly. I don't have a roo, but in the flocks that I have seen that do, a broody ignores him too when she is setting. I would be worried too, and trying my darndest to figure out how to get her out. How far under the house is she and how much room do you have to work in?

Thanks for your reply. I appreciate your caring support very much.

The good news is that she finally came out this morning while I was outside gardening, at about 8 a.m. Yippee! I was able to nab her and get her inside her coop. I am so relieved!!! She didn't seem as mad at me as I had expected.

She doesn't look like she lost any weight. Her wattles (or is it called comb on a hen?) (the comb-like material that is underneath her chin) were bright red. The comb atop her head was normal color. Her rear end looked a bit diarrhea-ish, or maybe she sat on an egg that cracked?

I am going to watch her closely. I hope she didn't get roost mites under the house. I would say she was under the house a full 4-5 days before her emergence this morning. I love her so much and am so glad she was able to muster the oomph to come out.

I guess she either got hungry or tired of being on the nest.

I asked for prayers for her at church last night, and they were answered!

I also had the treat of seeing a deer walk through the back yard this morning, a first! What a great day!

Back
Top Bottom