Youngish Cemani brooding, not eating…

PoppasGrill

Songster
Sep 22, 2023
North Central Florida
One of our Cemani hens , she’s less than a year old, has started brooding, over a week on the nest, but have yet to see her out of the nest to eat or drink. We’ve tried putting feed / mash on the lip of the nesting box, but when we went back in the afternoon it wasn’t touched.
We don’t want to mess with her too much, she’s got 5 eggs under her, but we might need to either break the brood or try to get , at least, some water into her.
If we can we get some suggestions, it would be appreciated.

One of our Cemani hens , she’s less than a year old, has started brooding, over a week on the nest, but have yet to see her out of the nest to eat or drink. We’ve tried putting feed / mash on the lip of the nesting box, but when we went back in the afternoon it wasn’t touched.
We don’t want to mess with her too much, she’s got 5 eggs under her, but we might need to either break the brood or try to get , at least, some water into her.
If we can we get some suggestions, it would be appreciated.
Prepare some food and fresh water. Given the length of time she's been sitting I suggest you include drained tinned mackerel or some form of chopped lean meat to help encourage her to eat.
Place the food and water as far from her nest as is practicable.
Gently lift her off her nest and carry her to where you've placed the food and water.
Broody hens go into a form of trance and it's this trance state you must break otherwise she may just sit in the new location and not eat.
The easiest way to break the trance is to make her stand. It may take a number of attempts of gently lifting her up until she stands on her own unsupported. then make her walk; not far, just enough to make sure she's fully awake.
She should eat if placed back in front of the food. If she heads back to the nest, temporarily block it off.
You may have to carry out this routine for the entire broody sit but most hens get the hang of it after a few days and leave the nest of their own volition to eat drink and poop.

There is a good chance that she is getting off to eat, but not when you can see her.

Have you tried feeling her crop? That is an easy way to check, without trying to watch her all the time. If she has something in her crop at least once each day, she will probably be fine.

Basic information about the crop, because I don't know if you already know this or not:
The crop is at the base of the neck on the front of the chicken, and is the first place food goes after being swallowed. An empty crop is almost impossible to find, and a very full crop is sometimes mistaken for a tumor. If you are not sure whether you feel it or not, feel a few other chickens for comparison. Most healthy chickens will have an empty crop when they wake up in the morning, a partly-full crop for most of the day, and a very full crop at bedtime. Broody hens do not eat nearly as much, but they should have something in the crop at least once a day.

when we went back in the afternoon it wasn’t touched.
My guess is also that she's doing it when you don't see her.

She has to leave the nest to poop which is also when she tops up.. food and water near the nest DURING incubation is NOT recommended.. in MY experience and opinion.

Not pooping is deadly fast.. is there poop in her nest or on her eggs?

There is a good chance that she is getting off to eat, but not when you can see her.

Have you tried feeling her crop? That is an easy way to check, without trying to watch her all the time. If she has something in her crop at least once each day, she will probably be fine.

Basic information about the crop, because I don't know if you already know this or not:
The crop is at the base of the neck on the front of the chicken, and is the first place food goes after being swallowed. An empty crop is almost impossible to find, and a very full crop is sometimes mistaken for a tumor. If you are not sure whether you feel it or not, feel a few other chickens for comparison. Most healthy chickens will have an empty crop when they wake up in the morning, a partly-full crop for most of the day, and a very full crop at bedtime. Broody hens do not eat nearly as much, but they should have something in the crop at least once a day.
Thank you for this information, we will check her.

My guess is also that she's doing it when you don't see her.

She has to leave the nest to poop which is also when she tops up.. food and water near the nest DURING incubation is NOT recommended.. in MY experience and opinion.

Not pooping is deadly fast.. is there poop in her nest or on her eggs?
Haven’t lifted her to look for poo on the eggs or in nest.
Another good suggestion, thank you.

Back
Top Bottom