Pics
Okay, well here I am several months later, and this time I have actual photos of real life baby Henries.

Two hens went broody at the same time. Hortense the Under Chicken wasn't allowed to keep her eggs. The others kept crowding into the nest with her, adding eggs to the clutch and rolling hers out. It finally occurred to me that any eggs left with her could end up cracked and the growing chicks harmed, so poor Hortense won't be a mama this year, since I'm not set up to isolate her in a separate pen.

Meanwhile, Gertrude the Head Hen (and Henry's wife) took over the three eggs Hortense was minding. She's the one that hatched out five Henries last year, three of which were roosters. Yesterday we heard soft little chirps from inside the egg capsules, and today we woke up to one hatched chick and two more on the way.

The one that hatched took a few steps toward me and nipped at my finger, and then he craned his neck slightly to get a better look. That's exactly how Henry behaved as a newborn. With the patterning on the chick's head I'm pretty sure he's a rooster. I was able to find wonderful, loving homes for the boys last year, and we kept the two girls. Hopefully I'll be able to re-home all of them this year.

None of the eggs we hatched out are from Henry's daughters. I think people are comfortable hatching out one or two generations from the same rooster, but it was easy not doing this since his daughter's aren't full grown yet and lay smaller eggs.

The second chick that hatched today is too fresh to be able to move around much. She's weak and just wants to be under Gertrude, and the third is slowly chipping out a hole in her egg house.

Because of the summer heat, we didn't want to let them sit on eggs. But they wouldn't stop sitting in the boxes, even though I kept removing eggs, so I gave in and now we've got ourselves three brand new Henries!!

:p

View attachment 1834570

View attachment 1834569
Welcome to the world new baby Henries! They are adorable :love

Happy, happy, Henrys, hatching!
hatching animation.gif
hatching animation.gif
hatching animation.gif
:frow

I'll check Henry's calendar and see if he can squeeze in a quick photo shoot tomorrow. He's been very busy lately with his flock expansion efforts. :bun :jumpy
Sorry to jump on an old thread but WOW! what an amazing read. You are rooster parent of the millennium for this!!!
Did henry's lung completely heal on its own? I am just so amazed by his resilience. Henry sure is lucky to be your baby!

Back
Top Bottom