Rooster(s) Hard on a hen(s)

@LostKjun
I'm not insulted, but I do enjoy my roosters just as much as my hens. They are funny and have a lot of personality just like the hens. I do hatch my own chicks. I don't live within 30 miles of any town or suburb & have no close neighbors.
That said, no one should keep a rooster that causes them, family members, or their hens stress.
LOL, I get that, janiedoe. Guess being raised on a small farm animals weren't for entertainment, they were for producing eggs and meat. Nothing wrong with enjoying them, just not something I got from chickens. Glad you've got the good life.

LOL, I get that, janiedoe. Guess being raised on a small farm animals weren't for entertainment, they were for producing eggs and meat. Nothing wrong with enjoying them, just not something I got from chickens. Glad you've got the good life.
I didn’t intentionally get a rooster, he was one of six that were supposed to be girls. He’s a good rooster and actually the nicest chicken I have. So I will try to keep him around. I do have one hen who I think her days are numbered. She’s the one doing the hard pecking. She drew blood on one of the hens right in front of me. So I’m trying to determine what comes next.

!I made lightweight chicken coats, The hens didn't mind and they held up well, other than a few missing feathers on their heads, until the roosters finally eased up.
I found a pattern and bought some fabric to make chicken aprons. Hopefully that will help. It’s all a bit overwhelming as I’m trying to integrate 3 young pullets right now and little miss vicious is really complicating things.

I have 2 separated flocks. One w/ 11 hens and a rooster and one with 5 hens and a rooster. Both flocks have a hen or two with bare meat/skin showing on their back from the rooster constantly mating them. My plan has always been to add the small flock to the large one, just haven't done it yet. That will give me 2 roosters to 15 hens (fox recently got one).

Anything I can do besides separate the rooster or hens to allow the hens to heal up?
They make soft caps to put on cat claws. Or you can find small rubber caps at the hardware store. Glue them on the roosters nails and often this will help.

I was "shocked" to see your post...thought I had written it myself in my sleep ;) I was just telling my husband this morning that I was considering shooting a rooster.
I have the exact same issue with my one year old Easter egger rooster. He has 11 hens and several have bare backs. He is rough on them. I love him like a dog. He even acts like a dog...follows me around and begs for mealworms.
My second rooster is a jerk. He is a nice looking boy but not one I'd turn my back on. He has 5 hens and their feathers are just a little worn but I caught him pulling feathers from them and grabbing wings. His execution date has been set.
I am trying to decide whether to give the first one away, house him separately, or to cull him. It's a hard decision because I'm so fond of him but I don't want my hens beat up.
If you are not comfortable with the rooster, he does not belong in your flock. Period. I had two I got rid of before 6 months old. One a bantam SLW who used to bite my hand any chance he got and the other a beautiful Barred Rock. I had hoped to keep , When he jumped me and ended up hitting my face with his feet....by by roo! Your Roo should be gentle with you and hens but be protective of his ladies when danger approaches. I have a Cochin now. Beautiful boy.

I have 2 separated flocks. One w/ 11 hens and a rooster and one with 5 hens and a rooster. Both flocks have a hen or two with bare meat/skin showing on their back from the rooster constantly mating them. My plan has always been to add the small flock to the large one, just haven't done it yet. That will give me 2 roosters to 15 hens (fox recently got one).

Anything I can do besides separate the rooster or hens to allow the hens to heal up?

In my many years of experience w raising chickens, I have come to accept that chicken mating is not a particularly pleasant act and borders on what we humans would think of as almost "rape". Roosters are for the most part hard on chickens especially when they are young and learning about mating. They are struggling to find their balance, sometimes have to deal with another rooster or overprotective hen trying to knock them off, etc. From my years of observation, most of my chickens struggle and try to escape the roosters, no matter how polite the rooster tries to be. Usually there are always several chickens in my flock (about 50 hens w 5 roosters) who are always bare backed and scruffy looking, usually because they stay close to the rooster of their choice and are subject to more mating than some of the other hens. It appears that certain hens just like to be closer to their roosters than others. I free range my flock for the majority of the year but during extended periods in the coop, I do separate the roos to the "bachelor pad". I only cull a rooster for two reasons, if they are mean to humans or when they reach 3 yrs of age, (unless they become pets as I have experienced several times). I think roosters are a valuable asset to a flock and have had many forsake their lives for the lives of my hens and chicks. I usually hatch and hand raise my roos to teach them to respect humans as I have young grandchildren who help me collect eggs and such so I have to make sure they are friendly. Separating the roos from the flock will help to keep your chickens feathers but it doesn't do much good in my opinion because it defeats the purpose of a rooster and many times the scruffier a chicken looks means the more fertile and productive she is. That way when you have to cull the flock, you know which ones to look at. If a hen is picture perfect, chances are she is not the most productive hen in the flock. Hope this is useful...

Are you sure it's the rooster? Sometimes other hens will be the ones doing it. That was my problem and I had to figure out which one it was. I removed her from the flock for a month and then put her back in (At night) and it stopped because she was no longer the dominate hen.

Back
Top Bottom