Rooster Sanctuary in New England or NY areas?

There are good people out there who do take roos.
wink.png
And not eat them. BUT, they are VERY hard to find...trust me, I've looked. I have found great homes for a few very lucky roosters and have even visited a few months after my boys were dropped off, to find a few healthy, well-fed roos. But these were one-time deals as it's just terrible to unload so much on those good people. It's very hard (if not impossible) to have 40+ roosters roaming around a property. The places I found were not 'sancuaries' but farms and 'developments' were the boys free-ranged until they passed away of natural causes. Such places do exist. You just have to know what you're looking for.

The only place I can think of in NY who would even consider taking in roos is the Woodstock Farm Sanctuary, it's about an hour or so north of us. We have visited and volunteered several times in the past and they are good people. I called a few years ago when I was looking for homes for a few of mine but they said that they had too many to accept any more. But birds do pass away and although not frequently, there may be some 'openings' and if your friend explains the situation, something may be done. The places I have mentioned above were either 'connections' from friends or places that are no longer able to take in any more males.

Good luck. I've walked in those shoes before...
And if that doesn't work, there's always the BYC sales pages.

Quote:
When the stock they sell both physically and in regard to purpose (e.g. production, etc.) generally meet the recognized breed standard ---with the exception of minor faults that may be expected from even top show stock breeding programs---and when those birds then reproduce themselves to generally meet the recognized breed standard. Again, I am not necessarily talking about SQ here, just purebred lines. I am also not talking about birds who should have rose combs or pea combs that instead develop single combs, or who should be blue and turn out completely red, or any such nonsense. I am talking about meeting the general standard with acceptible minor flaws.

Quote:
I am talking about meeting the general standard with acceptible minor flaws.

Sorry but there is no such thing as a bird meeting the standard and having "acceptable" flaws, whether minor or not.

To the OP: Most hatchery birds are not purebred. Technically, purebred means to have only blood of the breed it is supposed to be. Hatcheries often cross other breeds that "look similar" (whole different story), so they may look like the opposed breed but technically aren't.

If you don't care about that stuff than to each his/her own.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom