Rooster seems sad after the passing of his favorite hen

EvanAlexJames

Chirping
Sep 29, 2022
Hey, guys. I don’t know for sure if this is the right thread to put this in, but I could really use some advice.

My oldest hen, Bertha, suddenly passed today. Sweet girl has been sitting on eggs all week and has been perfectly fine. The rest of the flock is fine. I think she was just ready to go, as she was quite a bit older than the others, but she’s always been such a good momma hen and I’m really sad to see her go.

Bertha was mated to Hendrix. The two have been inseparable since I got them last year (and for years before that, from what I hear). Hendrix loved Bertha and since her passing, he’s been more agitated. He’s pacing around the run (probably looking for his girl), and he just seems distraugh.

I don’t know if I’m personifying him or not, but does anyone have any advice for how to help him transition into life after love? I’ve never seen a bond so strong between two chickens and I just don’t know how to help him. I worry he may decide to move on as well, and I’d like to do everything I can to keep him here.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

He's definitely looking for her.
Were these the only two chickens you had?
No, but the two of them never cared for any others In the coop except their two kids that Bertha hatched out last year, but even then, they merely tolerated them after the baby stage

Are there other males present?
If not, he eventually merge with the rest of the flock.
There are two other boys in the coop. They’ve always just left each other alone, but With the new dynamic, I don’t know how it will play out over the next few days/weeks

I agree - any vulnerability - I would imagine there is a good chance those younger boys are going to pull something. I would have a plan B set up and ready to go as in a way to separate them.

Back
Top Bottom