Rooster shakes his head

Is his crop emptying overnight?
No lesions or yellow/white pasty material inside his beak?

His crop is full right before he goes to sleep and by midnight it's thin and soft (empty, I guess).

No lesions or weird stuff inside his beak. Only thick saliva after he shakes his head.

Can you get photos?

How are you checking the crop by midnight - is he living inside?
Does he have access to feed all night?

I'll try, but he really moves his head a lot when I grab him, and I don't know how to immobilize him without hurting him. His neck looks so fragile... Now that I think about it, maybe he shook off the peroxide's drops before they fully entered the ear?

No, he sleeps in the coop, I went there at night, opened the door, and touched his crop; he was pretty dozed so it was easier than ever to check him out. And yes, they have feeders and waterers available all night, is that wrong?

No having food/water in the coop overnight it not wrong. It can make it harder to check crop function since birds get up really early and eat/drink before you check it.

His neck shouldn't be that fragile. Get a hold of him, take him to a table, let him stand up. Drape an arm over him and pull him to your body, this captures his wings and you have more control over him. Then you should be able to tend to him easier.

Update: I finally took him to the vet. He thinks it's a bacterial infection that started in his digestive system and migrated to his ear (?).

He said he wanted to check his throat (?) but he would have to use anesthesia and etc so that it wouldn't be too stressful for the roo. So in the end he opted for giving him general antibiotics and wait.

I don't know this vet, but he's the only one available, does this all make sense to you?

Ohhhh, could be! He said he was underweight when he touched him. I hadn't noticed, the rooster looked fine to me, but it seems that under all that fluff he is thinner than normal.

He said he gave him broad-spectrum antibiotics to cover the most common pathogens. Then he gave me a little bag with a white powder (no name or brand) to pour on the waterers. Not so much for him but for the other members of the flock (so maybe he thinks it's contagious?).

Ohhhh, could be! He said he was underweight when he touched him. I hadn't noticed, the rooster looked fine to me, but it seems that under all that fluff he is thinner than normal.

He said he gave him broad-spectrum antibiotics to cover the most common pathogens. Then he gave me a little bag with a white powder (no name or brand) to pour on the waterers. Not so much for him but for the other members of the flock (so maybe he thinks it's contagious?).
I'm not sure what he gave you, but I hope it helps!

So... It's been a few days and he's not drooling that hard and definitely he doesn't have a bad breath anymore, but he keeps shaking his head. Maybe these two things aren't related? What do you guys think?

Back
Top Bottom