Rooster shaking head

Candyjablonski

Crowing
Oct 27, 2019
My rooster is shaking his head in an s shape and back and forth when excited or just walking sometimes. Is this normal?

A video uploaded to YouTube or Vimeo, with a link posted here of what you are seeing could be helpful. The neck motion you are seeing can be a sign of normal adjusting his crop, but sometimes it can be a neurological symptom. I would check his crop to feel if it is full and hard or doughy, and once again in early morning before he eats or drinks.

A video uploaded to YouTube or Vimeo, with a link posted here of what you are seeing could be helpful. The neck motion you are seeing can be a sign of normal adjusting his crop, but sometimes it can be a neurological symptom. I would check his crop to feel if it is full and hard or doughy, and once again in early morning before he eats or drinks.
He doesn’t have a full crop and it’s bedtime for him. I will definitely check first thing in the morning to see if it’s full because he’s eating some right now. It doesn’t look like spasms like the chicken in the video so I’ll rule out that. He does yawn but only when I meow at him. He does not have any other chickens and only knows our dog and cat. He rides them as he would a hen. Getting a hen in two weeks. He actually struts and moves his head in a s shape or when excited. I have put 7 dust on him to rule out ear mites. Thank you for the information and I will reply in the morning.

It sounds like he may be having some neurological problems, but it is easier when we can see it. You can get vitamin E 400 softgels and give him one daily orally into his beak, or pierced and emptied onto some food. Tuna or egg are good ones. Foods high in vitamin E are chopped almonds and peanuts, sunflower seeds, salmon, and broccoli.

It sounds like he may be having some neurological problems, but it is easier when we can see it. You can get vitamin E 400 softgels and give him one daily orally into his beak, or pierced and emptied onto some food. Tuna or egg are good ones. Foods high in vitamin E are chopped almonds and peanuts, sunflower seeds, salmon, and broccoli.
Great thank you I will start him on some tomorrow. Thank you again for everything you have helped me with

Back
Top Bottom