rooster shaking his head

laura29532

Songster
7 Years
Jul 18, 2016
I have a black jersey giant that shakes his head, he looks like he has water in his ears. he walks along and all of a sudden shakes his head a couple times. I thought it was a fly or bee bothering him but I don't see anything. He has no swollen areas, no signs of sickness, no sneezing or watery eyes, nose etc. he is not sick he just shakes his comb for a few minutes. I check for mites etc. and none.

Last edited:
Chickens can do some head shaking normally if feathers are growing in, and it also can happen when lice or mites are causing itching, and if there is mucus in the airway, which happens with a respiratory disease or crop disorder.

no mites or ticks etc. he just shakes his head every now and again. I have dusted his sleep area, the yard where they dust themselves in the sand etc. he will be great for awhile and one day you look and he will just be shaking his head again like he has water in his ears.. he does have a few feathers coming in as he was molting. a few tails feathers to go as well. none of the other chickens do this so I thought something was wrong. no discharge from his nostrils, they are clear, his eyes are clear, his poop is normal. I do all organic with herbs and ACV. I keep real close attention on their poop and feathers etc. I like to know if somethings wrong before it gets out of hand. they have regular scheduled herbs and additives to their water and feed. fresh organic fruits and vegetables, never left in the run if they don't eat before I clean up their area. I try to keep them as healthy as possible.

Back
Top Bottom