Rooster side stepping and flaring wing on one side?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sticks22, Sep 3, 2008.

1. sticks22

sticks22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2008
    Grove, oklahoma
    What does this mean? Is it a threatning jesture or a mating dance?

Last edited: Sep 3, 2008
  2. Jennyhaschicks

Jennyhaschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2008
    Maine
    It means he's being a bully.

3. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    In my experience that's a mating dance!

4. MaransGuy

MaransGuy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2007
    Greenfield, MA
    It is how they display to the hens for courtship and one way they show their dominance over other roosters. If the "wing drop" does not keep the other roosters in line it then progresses to the flaring of hackles and then actual fighting.

Mylied likes this.
  5. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    If he's dropping one wing and circling around a hen, it's his little "rooster dance," which is a way to show off to the hens and (attempt) to attract them. You'll notice that, after doing that, he may try to mount the hens.

Sometimes he will even do the little dance toward you, which can be funny because he thinks you're just a big chicken, too. [​IMG]

FrankieDoodle likes this.
  6. Emzyyy

Emzyyy Runs with Deer

Jul 14, 2008
    Derby Kansas
    Mine do that all the time but my males will do it to each other too not just to the hens...maybe their gayyy? roflamo. [​IMG]

7. Jennyhaschicks

Jennyhaschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2008
    Maine
    Oh boy. My roo does this when he comes over to me. I thought he was being mean.

8. Michigan Chickman

Michigan Chickman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    SW Michigan
    Wow! Mine do that sometimes, but most of the time they just chase the girls down. Do they dance for their favorites maybe?

9. sussexgal

sussexgal Chillin' With My Peeps

When my guy does that, the object of his dance best pay heed or loose a beakful of feathers from its head! Spanky is a mixed breed roo... he's very protective of the flock but a bit selfish when it comes to food. If I put out three areas of scratch, he runs from area to area doing his side step dance at all three. He side stepped me once... We now have an understanding [​IMG]

10. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    My roosters do this to my 2 dogs, my pit bull just watches them, my aussie tries to herd them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by