Rooster side stepping and flaring wing on one side?

It is how they display to the hens for courtship and one way they show their dominance over other roosters. If the "wing drop" does not keep the other roosters in line it then progresses to the flaring of hackles and then actual fighting.

If he's dropping one wing and circling around a hen, it's his little "rooster dance," which is a way to show off to the hens and (attempt) to attract them. You'll notice that, after doing that, he may try to mount the hens.

Sometimes he will even do the little dance toward you, which can be funny because he thinks you're just a big chicken, too.
smile.png

Quote:
He is dancing for you. Wooing you with his manly charms. He is waiting for you to squat for him.

Pick him up and carry him around. He needs to know he can't mate you. You are top Roo in the coop not him.

Quote:
Me too! I thought he was trying to fight me so I'd either punt him away with my foot or chase him to show him I was boss...

I didn't know he was just saying I was pretty...

aw, now I feel a little bad... :|

Carmine does that to me every time I walk into the run. If he gets too rowdy I grab him, but mostly I just coo at him and tell him I think he's pretty too. Unfortunately, he's a petite Andalusian in a flock of mostly dual purpose American girls. The other two Andalusians and the very young Marans girls are the only ones his dance actually makes an impression upon. I just don't have the heart to deflate his little ego any more. It's terrible to watch him try it on the Delaware girls. They just stand there and stare until he's within pecking range, then they take him down a peg. I think that's why he does it so often, desperation.

Back
Top Bottom