Rooster singing lessons?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by FriesianGroupie#1, Aug 25, 2010.

1. FriesianGroupie#1

FriesianGroupie#1 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2010
    Bethune
    hey guys!!!
    Forewarning, I am VERY VERY new to chickens, the four i have are the first ones ive ever seen or touched! That said:
    I have two roosters, about 13 weeks old, have been crowing(or should i say attempting lol) when they turned 10 weeks old. They sing alot and i love it, but the crowing isnt the typical 'cocka doodle doo' i was expecting to hear from all those childhood animal sound books! Oreo, his crow is like 'cock-a roo', syllables very distinct and chopped up, and Hershey crows like 'cocka roooo' very sing-songy and drawn out. does a rooster crow really sound like i learned in school? or is each roo different and i just have defective but cute ones? I try to crow 'properly' when im out there when they crow, trying to teach them to add the 'doodle' in there!! Am I hopeless? I know i must look quite silly 'cock a doodle doo'ing at my roosters! Or will they learn and im not patient enough?

Thanks!!
    Shereena [​IMG]

2. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Chillin' With My Peeps

My first roos crowed like a pheasant because that is what they heard while they were still very young... so some training is possible WHILE they are still very young. I have had 3-noters, 4-noters and, yes, the traditional 5 noter (cock-a-do-dle-do!)... most common being the 4 noter. Not sure at this point that you can change their songs. I can tell me boys apart by their distinct and different crow... I enjoy that.

ps: Love when they are just learning... they are sooo funny and pathetic! [​IMG]

3. FriesianGroupie#1

FriesianGroupie#1 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2010
    Bethune
    thanks for the reply!!
    Im glad that my boys are defective, just special! hahaha

Come to think of it, Oreo is prolly trying to copy the sounds of my horses, my old man Jack (32 yrs old) whinnies funny ( like a hee whoo hee sound, very choppy too) while waiting for dinner and the chicken coop is right near the feed room and the horse fence. Oreo is trying to be a horsey!! LMAO

Thanks!!
    Shereena

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

There are currently 4 crowing roosters in my flock. Three are bantams, and are just getting their crows developed. Carl, my main large fowl EE rooster, crows, "ER A ERRR ERRR ERR!" The Sebright boys, Alex and George, crow "Errr errrr errrrr." Charlie the bantam Buff Brahma crows a rowsing, "ERRR ERR ERR ERRR." So I can tell Carl from Charlie, and from Alex or George, BUT I can't tell the difference between Alex or George's crow.

Not only by the number of syllables in each rooster announcement, but by the timbre of the different breeds. George crows more than Alex does, I think. When I can see them crowing, that's what I've determined. But George also has two longer, fancier tail feathers than Alex to brag about.

5. Jasmine1998

Jasmine1998 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2010
    Montgomery County
    My Wyandotte is a 5 noter...he started out kind of pathetic but he has it down like a professional now. My dark brahma is a one noter...it sound like a really loud & long goose honk. The wyandotte crows 10x as much as the Brahma does. If Bob, the brahma crows it is for a reason, example....he wants everyone get in the coop.

6. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Chillin' With My Peeps

A while back on another post there were roos who "learned" from a dog and another who learned from her old car starting. Just today a post labeled "bilingual rooster" (I think) someone heard a little yappy dog out by their coop... turned out to be their roo crowing (or his version of crowing). They all develope their own voice. [​IMG]
    Sounds like yours might be bilingual, too! [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 25, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by