Rooster sitting?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by renovationmom, Jun 19, 2011.

1. renovationmom

renovationmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2011
    Texas Hill Country
    I have a 6 month old silkie Roo, he just started to crow, and is starting to mate. Yesterday, when one of my sitting silkie hens left her eggs to have a snack, my Roo sat on her eggs while she took a break. When she returned, without any exchange of conversation, he stepped out, she went back to sitting!

2. SunnyCalifornia

SunnyCalifornia Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2010
    Escondido CA
    What a sweet roo!!!

3. For The Love of Peeps

For The Love of Peeps Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Kuna
    That Makes Me Smile...[​IMG] When My Hen Was Setting...She Gave The Rooster 1 Egg For The Night To Set On....And He Did....[​IMG] Then She Took It Back The Next Day When He Left To Go Do His Thing....[​IMG]

4. renovationmom

Mar 20, 2011
    Texas Hill Country
    I have never seen this before. I have Roo's that will look after the baby chicks, teach them to scratch, and protect them, but never any involvement during incubation. Wouldn't it be wonderful if all the Roo's did this!

5. Cadjien_De_Louisiane

Cadjien_De_Louisiane SWLA Gamefowl Breeder

Apr 18, 2011
    Welsh, LA
    What a guy! [​IMG]

6. HighNDryFarm

HighNDryFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2011
    Paradise, CA
    That is so neat! My roo is really great with the babies. I'd trust him with the babies over the hens! He brings his head down right next to their face and just freezes. Some jump on him, run under him but he just stands perfectly still. I think I read on here where someone keeps a roo in the grow out pen so I was wondering if that's normal.

Guess we have to give the buggers more credit then just making a bunch of noise and fertilizing an egg or two!

7. renovationmom

Mar 20, 2011
    Texas Hill Country
    Quote:[​IMG]

I had read that too about the Roo in the grow out pen. I know of a breeder that keeps a Roo in with her babies, she calls him "Grandpa" and the babies pile up on him to keep warm.

8. SilkieCreekFarm

SilkieCreekFarm Out Of The Brooder

Dec 31, 2010
    Louisiana
    Quote:Definitely Silkie roos make good daddies [​IMG] But I wonder why mine Polish roo & hen and also Creole English roo & hen will roost in the nesting boxes day & nite. I do have a roosting bar for them, but they insist to roost in the nest most of the time. I've tried covering this area with cloth to discourage them and sometimes it works when it is really hot outside. Any other ideas?

9. bantam0907

bantam0907 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2010
    My silkie roo Merle will sit on eggs! I just lost my hen and he was acting miserable so i went out and bought him a fake egg and now hes completly content he sits on it everday and will attack anyone who tries to touch it! I recently put a biscuit in his coop for him to eat and he moved it to the nest and has been sitting on it going on 2 weeks![​IMG]

Merle [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. renovationmom

Mar 20, 2011
    Texas Hill Country
    Quote:He is handsome boy!

Awww. Poor Merle. He needs a new lady friend.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by