Rooster situation

Feathering Farm

In the Brooder
Feb 16, 2023
Hello everyone! Hope you're all having an amazing day. So I had 3 Roosters. One was the leader, and 2 young Roos. One of them is very shy and timid. Took him and his brother to finally voice themselves are 8 months. I have around 5 hens for now. Well the leader takes them all except one that likes both of them. Well one day I noticed that one of my roos is missing. I looked anywhere and couldn't find him at all.I I know he leaves at times since his brother fights with him a lot.

I assumed he left and went to find a new flock or just get away. Okay I get it, but the other Roo has no hens at all. The leader just bullies him, my question is, why hasn't he left as well?

Yes the other Roster just left he has done it before. And I would hear a scream cry from him.

It sounds like you have pullets and cockerels.
The dominant cockerel will drive off submissive cockerels and roosters to protect his harem. The pullets will select their preferred male and that is why one of them will mate with either male. She may prefer the submissive cockerel but will also submit to the dominant.
A predator may have taken the third boy if he hasn't come back.
Do you have a predator proof coop for them to sleep in at night?
Do they free range during the day?
Have you considered rehoming the submissive cockerel so he can have a flock of his own? Two males can over breed so few females and cause feather damage or injury. And eventually, the submissive will not want to be in that role and will fight the dominant for leadership. It can be a bloody affair and can lead to mortal injuries. And the loser will always be looking over his back, wanting to have girls of his own and trying to win some from the dominant. It's hard to get away with that when the flock is so small.

It sounds like you have pullets and cockerels.
The dominant cockerel will drive off submissive cockerels and roosters to protect his harem. The pullets will select their preferred male and that is why one of them will mate with either male. She may prefer the submissive cockerel but will also submit to the dominant.
A predator may have taken the third boy if he hasn't come back.
Do you have a predator proof coop for them to sleep in at night?
Do they free range during the day?
Have you considered rehoming the submissive cockerel so he can have a flock of his own? Two males can over breed so few females and cause feather damage or injury. And eventually, the submissive will not want to be in that role and will fight the dominant for leadership. It can be a bloody affair and can lead to mortal injuries. And the loser will always be looking over his back, wanting to have girls of his own and trying to win some from the dominant. It's hard to get away with that when the flock is so small.
He left, I have seen him leave many times. They are free range as well, his brother is also weak and submissive. That's what doesn't add up to me. His brother left, but he stayed and he tries to go near the dominant Rooster and gets attacked and chased. He doesn't do anything besides run away all day. Why did he stay if he isn't getting any love? His brother left?

He was likely killed by a predator while wandering by himself, sorry.
Rehome the other one before he suffers the same fate.
Nah I hear him crow around 11 night in an echo. He found something out there. I checked for feathers blood anything. Not a trace at all. He was a pretty clever Rooster. Never went near the Hens just was there. I bet his brother (the one that isn't getting any tail at all). Fought him and he left. I know the crow and it is no doubt him.

Back
Top Bottom