Rooster sleeps on ground

WestNashChick

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 16, 2014
Nashville
I have an almost 6 month year old rooster (coop has hens 6 months-over a year old). He keeps sleeping on the floor, under the hens. There is plenty of room for him on the 2*4 roosting bar. I tried to gently place him on the bar-that was a mistake. Do roosters like to sleep below the hens?

Last edited:
I have an almost 6 month year old rooster (coop has hens 6 months-over a year old). He keeps sleeping on the floor, under the hens. There is plenty of room for him on the 2*4 roosting bar. I tried to gently place him on the bar-that was a mistake. Do roosters like to sleep below the hens?

As a rule, no, roosters do not generally choose not to roost with the flock simply as a function of their gender -- there may, though, be something causing your particular rooster to not feel comfortable on your roost. How long have you had him in the flock? How long (in feet) is the roost and is that the only roost in the coop?

He was hatched, along with another hen, by my Silkie, so he's always been with the flock. That is the only roosting bar, I only have six chickens all together. The hens love it and always sleep there, could he be too big? He appears to be feeling fine.

Has he ever sat on the roost, he could just be a slow developer, most younger ones sleep on the floor for a while before getting on the roosts, also my chickens refuse to roost on a thicker roost, the 2 of the 2x4 must be up, we tried switching to 4 up and no one would sit on it, it's too wide to grip comfortably I think.

He has been on it a few times, but he always seems confused at night. His hatch match always sleeps on the roost. I had a thinner roosting pole a long time ago, but they didn't like it. Thanks everyone!

Try a 2" tree branch, put it adjacent to the hens' roost. He is either slightly young, doesn't like the current one or he needs more room. roosters generally sleep smack in the middle of their hens or above them if given the option. A roo on the floor is cause for concern. Good luck, let us know, good or bad. ~ JPB

Is he a heavy weight rooster, sometimes they don't roost because coming down, their landings are hard on their feet. Chickens are not grasping birds like wild birds. They generally prefer to have their feet laid out flat. In cold weather they will have their head over their feet to help keep them warm. Do you think your rooster could have some sight problems?

My rooster is about 3 years old and used to not have a problem at all with roosting and even would climb to the very top roost(I have three roosts). Now he won’t sleep on the roosts and I tried to put him up, but he came back down every time. He is a Rhode Island Red, there are only 8 chickens including him, and one spur is much longer than the other. Do the spurs have anything to do with this? Also, a couple wing feathers, the ones at the end, seem to have broken in half and I think that may also be a reason. I had separated the rooster for a while before because the hens would pick at his tail feathers and everything grew back. Any help is appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom