Rooster slowly going lame.. now he can't walk... what is it??

I have been doing alot of reading on Marek's as well, having just lost 3 birds from it...

One of the comforting(?) things I did read is that vaccinated or not ALL birds are exposed to this disease as it is airborn and very contageous. There seems to be a window of time during which, if your chicken will be ill from it, he/she will get sick. I believe it was 15-24wks? My understanding, also, is that if you have younger and older chickens together and the younger ones get it, it does not mean the older ones will. I do not know if my older chickens were vax'd before I got them(as chicks from a local gal) however they were with the sick ones and as far as I can tell, no one else is showing any signs of illness, even the 2 younger ones I hatched here and were not vax'd. I got 4 new chickens in June of this year, and I believe the older 2 were already infected(based on the gestation period of the virus, as well as their general health which wasn't the best) I isolated the 4 new birds, which is when I believe my other chicken probably got the virus. There is a 4th bird who seems fine and just started laying eggs...I am cautiously optomistic that she will be fine. I am also hoping that because I am picky about cleaning out my coop, which was the only place the older/younger chickens were ever together(they free range the rest of the time) it reduced any major exposure.

I am a total newbie. I never thought to ask about vaccines because I wasn't planning on vax'ing my birds. I may revisit that after this... It was horrible to watch these birds deteriorate, knowing I could not do anything to help them, with the only option being to end their suffering. My birds all presented like yours, for the most part. It started with a limp, almost a drunken walk. Then they couldn't get up to roost. Diareah. They still ate and drank, but I don't know how much stayed with them. My 2 d'uccles did not try to flap to get away but my mutt roo did, just like you say with Louis. My guy sort of flapped all lopsided, but couldn't really get anywhere. He also had the curled up foot, which he put out in front of him with the other behind. My other two limped, and would sit on their butts with one, sometimes both feet oddly out in front of them...I won't go into it but you are right, it continues to get worse. I wish I had culled sooner, but it was so hard for me to come to that point. They do go downhill fast, at least mine did, once the virus has taken hold.

I'm so sorry for you...and Louis. It really does suck.
sad.png

After reading replies here and talking to my chicken friends, we realized that the best idea is to put him out of his misery and prevent it from spreading. Miss you Louis
hit.gif

Thanks for the replies. I don't think I would have found out it was Marek's without you guys.

Ok, so is there anything else I can do to prevent it from spreading? I am going to bleach the crate he was in and my boots and everything that he touched. Should I bleach the coop?

Thanks

Last edited:
There are some simptoms that can sound like MAreks but be a totally different problem. With Mareks, legs do not move to the front and the back of the chicken but to the sides, also one pupil tends to look bigger than the other. A lot of times the laack of Selenium in the feed causes the chicken, hen or rooster to not be able to absorb the vitamins B and E that their musscles and ligfaments need to be healthiy. The animals gets weaker and the mussles atrophy making their legs and feet look flacid. This can be solved by giving the rooster or hen Selenium and vitamins B12 and E, liquid mixed with the food. I have a rooster in this condition right now. I am also giving him Colloidal Silver in case of bacteria or virus causing the paralysis. He is also taking the Selenium and vitamins mixed with different food including cat food for protein. The proccess of healing is happening slowly for us but he seems to be feeling better. Still laying down though but we have time and patience. I hope this helped. Be aware to not give more than 4 droplets of Selenium a day for about a week and then reduce, too much Selenium can hurt him. I hope this helps and I hope to see our Roo free ranging in the yard again soon. Mareks is not as contagious and everywhere as people think. However most people assume it is Mareks and kill the birds without knowing it could just be a lacvk of vitamins in their systems.

I am dealing with something similar and have been trying to research everything but can't pinpoint anything at this point, i feel bad for the hen i have that can not walk suddenly and she's been like that for 3 days now, and I'm thinking culling would be better....I've tried vitamins, but haven't seen improvement and she just lays and poops on herself, on occasion tries to move but flops over or rolls head over feet till I can set her comfortably down. Other than that she's looking around and appears normal to to be "nesting" on eggs. Feet don't go any weird direction when I pick her up, wings and legs move fine but set her down and she topples over, only thing is her feet are cold by legs and body warm....totaL loss on this one..

Back
Top Bottom