Rooster sneezing

MarlaMac

Songster
Aug 14, 2022
Central Texas
Good Morning.

My rooster, Cogburn, has been sneezing as of late. He is also having a bit of trouble crowing, as if his throat might be sore. He will start to crow and the noise will be a little raspy and then he stops.

I clean the poop from coop every day and I clean the water dispensers daily too to make sure no mold is in them. I have to admit that I do this more regularly now than a week ago, but the water bowls were never caked with mold, just an occasional notice of a dark residue on the bowl area where the water flows to (this might simply be dust settling to the bottom as we have really sandy soil). I use RO water for them. I do keep a fan in the coop during the night b/c it has been hot here. I noticed he roosts directly in front of it.

I haven't noticed any other signs in him. He is active, mates regularly. He just sneezes and has issues crowing.

Cogburn is a Black Australorp and is 7 months old. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

My previous message, that I sent this morning is below. But now I have noticed little sore like crustations on his crown. Pictures attached. I remember seeing something like this in a post, but cannot remember what I is and how to treat it. What could have possible caused this? We live in the country with no neighbors, etc.

This is my previous message:

My rooster, Cogburn, has been sneezing as of late. He is also having a bit of trouble crowing, as if his throat might be sore. He will start to crow and the noise will be a little raspy and then he stops.
I clean the poop from coop every day and I clean the water dispensers daily too to make sure no mold is in them. I have to admit that I do this more regularly now than a week ago, but the water bowls were never caked with mold, just an occasional notice of a dark residue on the bowl area where the water flows to (this might simply be dust settling to the bottom as we have really sandy soil). I use RO water for them. I do keep a fan in the coop during the night b/c it has been hot here. I noticed he roosts directly in front of it.
I haven't noticed any other signs in him. He is active, mates regularly. He just sneezes and has issues crowing.
Cogburn is a Black Australorp and is 7 months old. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Attachments

• cogburn 92022.jpg
    cogburn 92022.jpg
    602.1 KB · Views: 6
  • cogburn 92022-1.jpg
    cogburn 92022-1.jpg
    650 KB · Views: 6
The black scabs is Dry Pox ... It'll heal it's self or you can (swab) apply some Triple Antibiotic ... it's from mosquito bites. Check around for standing water. It's very possible the "raspy" voice/sneezing is due to being in front of the fan all nite. Does your coop have enough ventilation? Is it possible to redirect the fan? It's also very possible the fan is moving the "dust/dnader" around causing his sneezing.

Where are you located? Wish it was mandatory to list your location, then we wouldn't need to ask. Location gives us a heads up on weather/climate conditions in the area of the poster as well as supply availability.

The black scabs is Dry Pox ... It'll heal it's self or you can (swab) apply some Triple Antibiotic ... it's from mosquito bites. Check around for standing water. It's very possible the "raspy" voice/sneezing is due to being in front of the fan all nite. Does your coop have enough ventilation? Is it possible to redirect the fan? It's also very possible the fan is moving the "dust/dnader" around causing his sneezing.

Where are you located? Wish it was mandatory to list your location, then we wouldn't need to ask. Location gives us a heads up on weather/climate conditions in the area of the poster as well as supply availability.
We are in Central Texas. I put the fans in b/c we were having 107 d days and 92 d nights. I relocated today and turned them off tonight since we are better now. I do put diatomaeous earth under the straw around the corners. Should I take that out? I know that is a lung irritant. I have a dyna trap for mosquitoes right outside their coup, I think I will move that closer to the house to lure them away from the trap. Mosquitoes are just now getting bad b/c of the super dry spring/summer. I think I have enough ventilation @ 30% of the coop. They free range all day, so they may be hanging where standing water is, but I doubt we have any with the current weather. I noticed he has a little bit of a cough too, but could possible be the same issue?

Thank you for your quick reply!

He is probably suffering some irritation from dust, perhaps. Can you re-position that fan so it doesn't blow directly on any of the birds, or remove it?

In the morning before he's had anything to eat or drink, check his crop - it should be empty. Look closely at his nostrils and eyes for any swelling or drainage. Pull down on his wattles to force his beak open, and look into his mouth and throat for any yellowish plaque-like substance, and check for any bad smell. Listen to his breathing for any rattling or wheezing sounds. Check his poop for visible worms or blood. Notice whether he stretches his neck out or gasps for breath, or shakes his head. See if his comb is bright red, or tinged purple.

Then post back, and maybe someone will have an idea what's going on. Hoping for the best!

Scabs on the comb look like peck marks. Minor injury from either hens pecking at his comb or possibly rubbing against fencing.

Can you please get a better photo of his face and eyes?
Look inside his beak for any lesions, canker or yellow/white pasty material.

Roosting directly in front of the fan may be causing some of his symptoms. Can you situate the fan where it draws air out of the coop instead of blowing in to see if that makes a difference?

I did post an update. He apparently has the dry version of fowl pox. I will do as you stated in the morning just to be certain it is not the wet version of this.

He does wheeze a little when he crows. I noticed this about two weeks back - he crows and then has a long wheezing as he breathes back in. He has since stopped crowing because I think it hurts him to do so. Haven't heard him crow in a couple of days. He tried today, but gave up almost at the beginning - made a noise, stopped and there was the wheezing and rattling. He is eating and drinking normally. Doesn't seemed stressed in breathing. Coughs and sneezes throughout the day, but not constantly. Will examine his poop tomorrow

He does have crusties on his comb - picture attached. I will check tomorrow for anything in his mouth, nose, etc although a quick glance at him does not show that. I haven't noticed a bad smell, but will definitely get close enough tomorrow to smell his head area.
I did reposition fans today and turned them off tonight. I also removed the dyna trap for mosquitoes - perhaps were drawing them in.

Will examine his crop and poop tomorrow.

Thank you.

Attachments

• cogburn 92022.jpg
    cogburn 92022.jpg
    602.1 KB · Views: 6
  • cogburn 92022-1.jpg
    cogburn 92022-1.jpg
    650 KB · Views: 5
I did post an update. He apparently has the dry version of fowl pox. I will do as you stated in the morning just to be certain it is not the wet version of this.

Coughs and sneezes throughout the day, but not constantly.
Scabs on the comb look like peck marks. Minor injury from either hens pecking at his comb or possibly rubbing against fencing.

Yes, and I asked that your threads be merged so we don't have to go back and forth.

Again, scabs on the comb look like just what they are, scabs/minor injury from pecking. I don't see anything that indicated Fowl Pox.

What I'm asking for if there's canker or lesions inside the beak, so take a look in the a.m. Also check to see that his crop is emptying.

Photos of his eyes/face would be good. Coughing and sneezing, could be environmental, but is can also be an indication of respiratory disease. Have you added new birds lately?

Can you please get a better photo of his face and eyes?
Look inside his beak for any lesions, canker or yellow/white pasty material.

Roosting directly in front of the fan may be causing some of his symptoms. Can you situate the fan where it draws air out of the coop instead of blowing in to see if that makes a difference?
Hmmm....they do free range and lots of time they are across the barbed wire fence in the next property under a group of trees. I can and will get a better pic of his face tomorrow as I examine his mouth, etc. Re-positioned the fans at the top of the coop so they are not blowing on anyone and actually turned them off tonight. Will keep them off until I eliminate them as an irritant.

Yes, and I asked that your threads be merged so we don't have to go back and forth.

Again, scabs on the comb look like just what they are, scabs/minor injury from pecking. I don't see anything that indicated Fowl Pox.

What I'm asking for if there's canker or lesions inside the beak, so take a look in the a.m. Also check to see that his crop is emptying.

Photos of his eyes/face would be good. Coughing and sneezing, could be environmental, but is can also be an indication of respiratory disease. Have you added new birds lately?
I will look inside the beak tomorrow morning and will check to see what his crop is like in the morning too. Never felt a bird's crop, but surely I would know by touch if it is impacted. Will also get new, closer photos tomorrow.

No new birds, only two little girls that were hatched by broody momma and are now 8 weeks old.

Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom