Rooster spurs

Quote:
I let my roosters keep their spurs if they have them.

They need their weapons to protect their flock.

I have a precious rooster with spurs looking like game rooster mix.

Lots of hawks circling above, never lost a hen to a hawk since I have this rooster.

If you are afraid of a rooster or have small children, or you are not sure how to handle him it would be better not to keep a rooster.

I completely agree with you. Also, the spurs or kicking thorns are used by the male to rake the substrate to uncover vital nutrients in the form of invertebrates and rootlets for the chicks and hen. If you have more than one rooster you won't have a problem. In nature, junglefowl males form prides. The males engage in ritual dances which are just show but the peck order is pretty established. They have much more to deal with in the form of their own predators; nest predators and competing prides than just fight with one another all day.
I've been keeping chickens for close to forty years and have had something like two or three roosters that attacked on occasion and this invariably happened because they were breeding stock males that were separated for most of the year with a few select hens and no other males.

No there's no bone in it but there is a quick with a blood supply that is very sensitive.

Sometime you have to trim for his comfort and that of his hens. I've had hens ripped open from normal mating because one of the roosters spurs were too long and oddly shaped. Or roosters who cut up their bellies because their spurs are so long. A quick trim and file to smooth it- no more problems!

I've used a heavy duty dog nail trimmer, just cut a little at a time until you see the quick or a tiny bit of blood. They will still be over an inch long in an adult large fowl, but that should help blunt it.

Even without spurs a rooster can still do some damage.

Quote:
I let my roosters keep their spurs if they have them.

They need their weapons to protect their flock.

I have a precious rooster with spurs looking like game rooster mix.

Lots of hawks circling above, never lost a hen to a hawk since I have this rooster.

If you are afraid of a rooster or have small children, or you are not sure how to handle him it would be better not to keep a rooster.

I completely agree with you. Also, the spurs or kicking thorns are used by the male to rake the substrate to uncover vital nutrients in the form of invertebrates and rootlets for the chicks and hen. If you have more than one rooster you won't have a problem. In nature, junglefowl males form prides. The males engage in ritual dances which are just show but the peck order is pretty established. They have much more to deal with in the form of their own predators; nest predators and competing prides than just fight with one another all day.
I've been keeping chickens for close to forty years and have had something like two or three roosters that attacked on occasion and this invariably happened because they were breeding stock males that were separated for most of the year with a few select hens and no other males.

Good, educational post, Resolution.

We need more old timers like you to share their experience knowledge with this board.

I read your posts and I like your bold, right to the point style, telling it like it is, whether one likes it or not.

There is lot of people here thinking that keeping backyard chicken is about same like keeping a pair of Seramas in canary cage.

LOL

When i work in my run I have to keep an eye on my rooster he's real protective of his hens, but he's just doin his job, if Im going to be in there for some time I,ll lock him in the coop, I like seeing a rooster with spurs but thats just my preference. Be careful if you trim his spurs there is bone in the spur, this page has good info on spurs.

http://www.poultryhelp.com/spurs.html

Last edited:
ok here goes we bought a farm and now we have 4 roosters .. will they fight if we let them out of the pens they are in .. One is in with hens .. we would like to eventualy let all of them run the farm .. any help would be appreciated.. also do I need a banty roo to fert my banty's eggs? will a banty roo fight with the other roos?

I filed my roos spurs with my pretty pink nail file
lol.png

Quote:
Let the birds sort it out. Spurs or kicking thorns as they are also known are primarily designed in the defense of hens, chicks and nests against small, non-obligatory predators. They are also used in defense against larger predators of the males themselves. The most important daily use is not in defense or fighting but rather in uncovering food. The spurs are used to rake through leaf litter.

Yes. There will be fights at first. These may even be a bit spooky to watch.
They will sort it out and much of the fighting is a form of courtship.
The fighting is ritualistic and done to advertise the fitness and rank of each competing male. Just let them sort it out.

The individuals that cooperate thrive and live long lives. The over competitive individuals get eaten or their nests are destroyed.
Roosters are designed by nature to look out for the safety and well being of their families- not engage in useless fighting all day. This wont stop the teenagers from fighting senselessly on occasion- but just let them work it out.

Back
Top Bottom