Rooster spurs

Yup, best results using a dremmel tool and a cutoff wheel. Get someone to hold the roo, cut the spur about 3/8" from the leg. Roo will struggle, but most of his discomfort is the vibration of the tool. This system seems to cauderize as it cuts, but may be a little blood. Use steptyc powder. Even cooking flour will do it. Won`t stop the roo from being mean. Use an ax for that.

Quote:
we tried the ax and he took it and chased us with it LOL. He just wasnt handeled to much as a baby. I just dont want to have to chop his head off when he throws those spurs at me LOL Thanks, Jay

Quote:
I let my roosters keep their spurs if they have them.

They need their weapons to protect their flock.

I have a precious rooster with spurs looking like game rooster mix.

Lots of hawks circling above, never lost a hen to a hawk since I have this rooster.

If you are afraid of a rooster or have small children, or you are not sure how to handle him it would be better not to keep a rooster.

In my case, our rooster is as sweet as he can be but his spurs are longer than his longest toe! They even interfere with his walking. I don't think he could truly fight with them because they are so long.

I would love to know for certain I wasn't going to hurt him if I trim his spurs. I'd also love to know the right way to do it- my husband says the dremel would scare the stew out of the poor guy and wants to use a saw.

So there's no bone in the spur? Seems like there would be. I'm new to chickens and our neighbor's had them all his life- he said there's a bone in there and just to leave the spurs alone.
hmm.png

Opinions?

My last rooster, Bruster, was a Rhode Island Red, and he had spurs that were about 1 1/4 " long. He never hurt a human, but he defended his flock from predators. One night I went down to the coop to close the door, and feathers were everywhere! I thought for sure we had lost someone, but old Bruster popped out of the coop into the yard. He had lost all of his tail feathers and his comb was bitten and bleeding. One of his hens had a bitten comb too, but other than that, all was well. I know that the spurs are tough on the hens, but they are there for a reason.
Bruster died last week from old age, he was 9 years old.

If you have an aggressive rooster, put him in the stew pot. You can enjoy him that way.

I read somewhere that you should trim the spurs if they get to long because it can hurt the Roo if he sits down or if he goes in to roost.
idunno.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom