Rooster spurs

FoothillChicks

In the Brooder
Mar 25, 2022
Is there a way of maintaining roo spurs similar to you do a dogs nails? Trim them up lightly every month and keep them the same short length constantly. This is for a young roo who hasn’t got length, not an older roo with multiple cms and would have a large blood supply

I have two roosters one is 4 years old the other is 7 years old and their spurs are very long, I cant really cut them to short their so thick and long, so yes, as your rooster grows keep his spurs trimmed down with dog nail trimmers.

Is there a way of maintaining roo spurs similar to you do a dogs nails? Trim them up lightly every month and keep them the same short length constantly. This is for a young roo who hasn’t got length, not an older roo with multiple cms and would have a large blood supply
You could trim them with dog nail clippers or if he's friendly and will sit still for it, take a coarse nail file or coarse sandpaper and just file them regularly. I did that with one of mine because I was concerned about making him bleed even a little bit.

I use a few different ways of maintaining my Rooster's spurs, but this depends on the birds though.

I trim them down/blunt the point with dog nail clippers, or file down until rounded.

I also pull spurs, usually on birds with wickedly long spurs. Or those I can't clip due to quick length, I pull spurs from, so I don't cause damage to the quick.

Those with naturally shorter spurs, I don't have to do much with maintenance. Those aren't much of a problem.

They only bleed if you cut them too much and get into the quick. I've got two older roo's with very large, long spurs and I trim them regularly. Just take off a little at a time so you don't hit the quick. When they get too long they can get caught on things, impede their walking well, injure hens, etc. Some spurs can be a big problem if they curve as they grow. One of mine roo's spurs will hit the ground when he walks if they aren't trimmed, they curve downward.
https://www.cacklehatchery.com/how-to-trim-a-roosters-spurs-and-how-not-to/

You've got the right idea. There is no need to cut or remove a roosters or cockerels spurs in all but the most extreme cases.
Take a nail file or fine engineers file and file the points off. It's only a matter of removing say 1mm to round them off.
You might check their toenails while you are at it and give them a quick going over with a nail file if the tips are a bit ragged.

Use a Dremel tool with grinder. Wrap the bird snugly in a towel with his feet hanging out at one end with his legs tied together so he cant kick.
Slowly and gently start cutting through the spur, back off a few seconds to let the spur cool some. Then continue cutting. If there's any blood, it will be cauterized, no bleeding whatsoever.
istockphoto-1139275189-612x612.jpg

Back
Top Bottom