Rooster squats when I approach him

elaineinspain

Songster
8 Years
Feb 6, 2016
Costa Blanca South, Spain
I have an 8 month old cochin rooster who has started squatting when I approach him. He is the lowest rooster in the pecking order, and he's crazy about mounting the ladies. He used to tidbit to me too, but I just shouted at him to stop and walked straight 'through' him and he doesn't do it so often now, but recently he's started to squat sometimes when I approach. None of my other roosters have done this. He walks and runs fine, has no injuries, is eating well, but doesn't seem to fit in well with the rest of the flock somehow. He is often standing off on his own. And now he's started this squatting, and once he even went into the nesting box when I was in the coop, cleaning, with him ! Anyone got any ideas why he's doing this?

Yes. He's got a bit of an inferiority complex. Be especially alert around him as this personality quirk can contribute to aggression in a cockerel.

You also need to examine your behavior. Inconsistent discipline, sudden, erratic moves on your part can confuse and startle and create mistrust in a cockerel just learning his place in the flock and his relationship to you.

A cockerel just coming into his hormones will be plagued with conflicting urges, and it's very important to be consistent and not send mixed signals to him.

Yes. He's got a bit of an inferiority complex. Be especially alert around him as this personality quirk can contribute to aggression in a cockerel.

You also need to examine your behavior. Inconsistent discipline, sudden, erratic moves on your part can confuse and startle and create mistrust in a cockerel just learning his place in the flock and his relationship to you.

A cockerel just coming into his hormones will be plagued with conflicting urges, and it's very important to be consistent and not send mixed signals to him.
Thank you for your answer azygous. It makes sense to me. I'll be more conscious of my own behaviour around him too...

Are you sure it's not a Pullet coming into lay?
I don't believe you'd ask that question if you saw and heard him! Thank you for the suggestion anyway
IMG_5300.JPG

IMG_5294.JPG

He's definitely a stunningly handsome little dude! Let's hope he gets through the hormonal stage and turns into a gentleman rooster.
Today he was much better. No squatting and just a little tidbitting to me, which I quietly ignored, and he stopped after a couple of minutes. You're right - he is handsome, and definitely a rooster.:) He's not so little either. He's already around 4 kilos.

He has lots of growing still to do. Roosters don't attain their full size until after age two. He should be a stunning specimen when he reaches full size.

At this age, it relatively easy to administer discipline and manage his developing temperament and behavior. Now that you know what you're doing, keep up the good work, and he will be a rooster to make you proud.

Back
Top Bottom