Rooster-Stay or Go?

Agree with either chicken jail to separate for awhile, OR get rid of him. Really helps to get rid of those that don’t work with your flock dynamics.

Just got rid of 8 adolescent males...so much more calm now in the run, even though we have a head rooster and an adolescent male still.

Once we got rid of 3 pullets of a particular breed bc top male hated them, and they never gelled with the flock (all same age, so they were raised together with all the rest). Much more calm once they were gone and not darting everywhere and receiving the ire of the top male. So, sometimes even females are the problem.

If he’s not fitting in/casing problems and is mature in age, get rid of him.

we I was a kid we had roosters, it wasn't all that unusual to swap them out if things were going well. the hens get the preferential treatment, the roosters are expendable, IMHO. maybe trade roosters with someone, he might be good for a larger flock.

First time on the forum but I need some advice! I have 6 hens, all different breeds but all cold hardy good egg layers that are 3 years old. I raised them from chicks, and initially did not have a rooster as we lived in town. Last year, we moved out into the country, and we obtained a rooster for protection. He was probably 6-9 months old when we got him. He won't come up to me and eat out of my hand like my hens will, but he is not aggressive towards humans or our dogs. However, he is extremely hard on 2 of my hens. They have bare backs, red skin and sores. I bought a saddle for my Cuckoo Maran as she was also picking at herself and making it worse. I have a saddle coming for my Light Brahma who I noticed had a wound near her left wing. I sprayed her with blue kote and it looks better. I find her and the Buff Orphington roosting in the coop during the day, and I think they are trying to avoid the rooster. We have a large fenced in area for them to roam during the day, and they are eating and seem fine. I have 2 or 3 hens that have no feather damage, and I don't see him breeding them hardly at all, so I think he focuses more on the other hens. I don't let them free range, but I could. I would prefer not to free range as I have a new puppy who likes to chase them.

So I realize all of this is normal, but with the fall molt and winter right around the corner in WI, I am worried about the feather loss. The saddle on my Maran helps, but I don't think it is enough. I don't have a great place to separate the rooster as I only have the one coop. Any ideas? I am getting close to getting rid of the rooster as my hens seemed happier without him. I will try to find him a home, but I am not sure I can. I have no interest in eating him, and have never killed a chicken myself. Ironically, I am a vet but I do dogs and cats not chickens. Will this behavior improve as he gets older and his hormones are more under control? Will free ranging help? Any suggestions? Help!!
Are you sure he didn't bring some unwanted guests along? Mites or lice, might be worth a check. There's a lot of good info for checking and getting rid of on here.

I don't think he'll out grow this behavior. My head rooster is 3+ years old. He has a few favorite hens and will over-mate to the point of some feather loss (has never injured any of them). He has done this from the start. This is his only bad trait and the hens like him so I've kept him.

Roosters aren't really great for protection in most cases. Some are good for signaling danger but if you aren't free ranging that's not much use to you. I get the feeling you don't really want to keep him. I'd say get rid of him (in whatever way you like) and don't feel guilty about it.

I could keep him outside the coop and he could free range but he would have no place to roost at night. I don't really want to invest in another coop or fence set up as I am not sure he will be staying in the long run....

Welcome to the BYC forums :welcome

My wife's mother had chickens, which never had a coop or run. They free ranged all day and roosted in the trees at night. Not much protection from a predator, but I get the feeling that you might not be too bothered if nature took your rooster.

:welcome :frow Some males have favorite females and some females won't let a male mount them. If you're not using him for breeding then my suggestion would be to find him a new home. In the future you may want another male and you will probably be able to find one.

Back
Top Bottom