1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

rooster stiff/walking on toes

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by werecatrising, Nov 1, 2010.

1. werecatrising

werecatrising Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2009
    California
    I have a 3 year old silver laced wyandotte who is acting odd. He is walking stiff, on his toes like he can't put his feet all the way down. He is eating, at least he ate the treats I put out. I haven't noticed any bloody stool and can't find any signs of injury. I think this is the first day he has shown symptoms, but honestly it could have been longer. They all free range and he tends to avoid me. I did see him mount a hen today- so he is able to do that.

I did lose a year old jersey giant hen a few weeks ago. She was fine one day. The next she kept falling over if she tried to walk and was dead by that evening. I attributed it to a possible toxin even though I couldn't find anything on the property.

Any idea what could be going on? I am worried about my Rocky.

2. werecatrising

werecatrising Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2009
    California
    anyone?

3. TheFarmMama

TheFarmMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2009
    Stafford, VA
    If you already checked the pads of his feet to make sure it wasn't bumblefoot or anything stuck in there I'm at a loss. Hopefully someone else can be of more help to you, good luck!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by