Rooster still sitting too often

prairyd

In the Brooder
May 28, 2020
Two weeks ago I shared a post regarding my rooster. He had begun sitting very often throughout the day. He has continued to eat, drink, crow, poop, and mate normally but he is still sitting very often all day. He will stand and walk when approached but then after several minutes, he will return to a seated position. I have noticed that his stride is not as smooth as it used to be and sometimes I see his legs tremble yet his feet and legs look fine. I see no evidence of worms or mites. I have checked him as best as I can for injury and have found nothing, though he really doesn't like to be handled. His feathers are shiny and full. His appetite is as robust as ever. I am at a loss as to what could be bothering him. The rest of the flock is healthy and behaving normally. I am really worried about him and welcome any suggestions. Thank you so much!
20210410_113509.jpg

Last edited:
He could be suffering from a B-vitamin deficiency. Try giving him a half a B-100 complex each day until he improves.
I'm starting them on a vitamin powder in their water right now. Thank you for the suggestion!

Mareks could be an issue. Check out your bird’s eyes, comparing them to a healthy bird... oval shaped or not round pupils is what you are looking for. First symptoms usually involve lameness in legs or wings. I have had disease hit last year, but not this one... thank goodness.

However other options include...

Nutrition... roosters have different needs then hens. Layer feed is not formulated for long term keeping, breeds that require slightly better or different nutrients then hens that will be slaughtered young, or for roosters. Feed for a production commercial laying flock of leghorns is different than the feed fed to a breeding flock of roosters and hens for a production commercial breeding flock of leghorns. I have found my birds need more than what is just in laying feed. Rooster besides B, may need other vitamins and minerals... add oyster shell to the feed and vitamins to the water. Roosters require more calcium and nutrients than the hens... most of the health issues over the years in my flock has been tied to nutrition... causing me to change what I feed my birds. I feed all my hens and roosters the same stuff but higher protein, oyster shell and supplement with both commercial vitamins and natural sources of extra nutrients.

Toxins sometimes they come in contact with or eat something they should not have. Search for toxin flush... there are some formulas on BYC you can try. I lost a bird to this once.

Genetic problem, bump to head, bacteria that causes brain swelling can cause this too. Lost 3 to genetics.

Re-exam important joints, double check his hips and bottom of feet.

He needs vitamin B-1 and B-2. Unless your vitamin powder contains ample amounts of those two B-vitamins, you will need to buy the B-100 complex that contains them.

Rooster besides B, may need other vitamins and minerals... add oyster shell to the feed and vitamins to the water. Roosters require more calcium and nutrients than the hens... most of the health issues over the years in my flock has been tied to nutrition... causing me to change what I feed my birds. I feed all my hens and roosters the same stuff but higher protein, oyster shell and supplement with both commercial vitamins and natural sources of extra nutrients.
Are you sure about this? Everything I've read on here and elsewhere has said that roosters need LESS calcium than hens, because hens need more calcium for egg production. And that feeding roosters layer feed or extra calcium can actually cause health problems for them later in life. I'm still learning about chicken keeping, so I could be wrong... but I was surprised to read this.

I’m not very knowledgeable with chickens but one possibility if everything else can be ruled out could be kidney failure. One of my geese has kidney problems and her only symptom is constant resting. She sits around most of the day. She eats and drinks fine, is in good spirits, but she still sits around a lot.

If it’s a kidney problem the only treatment is lowering the protein intake, limiting stress, and giving tart cherry extract and apple cider vinegar to help the body rid itself of toxins. Others with birds with this conditions have gotten a few more good years with their birds so it isn’t necessarily the end, though it is progressive.

Roosters risk kidney problems if they consume too much calcium. That's why most of us who keep a mixed flock of roosters, old biddy retired layers, and baby chicks as well as actively laying hens feed an all-flock feed instead of layer feed.

Too much calcium can cause kidney stones even in humans.

Well I could be wrong on the calcium...

I just put it out for the whole flock to use as they want. But then my feed mix is different from what a lot of folks use too. I also have breeds that are a bit weird...

Good point on the possibility of kidney issue. If it’s not an injury or viral... I think looking at his nutrition maybe your best bet.

Too much or not enough of something can cause issues... so what is the nutritional breakdown of his feed he is getting?

Now we know what our doctors do... I have a patient with X symptoms.... it could be A, B, C or D.

He needs vitamin B-1 and B-2. Unless your vitamin powder contains ample amounts of those two B-vitamins, you will need to buy the B-100 complex that contains them.
Thank you for the suggestion. I have just started using Rooster Booster Vitamins and Electrolytes. B2- 32mg. B1 is 270mg. Do you think I should add an additional B1 and 2 to supplement?

Back
Top Bottom