Rooster strikes again

Quote:
Not very huggable? Prone to temper tantrums?
wink.png
(To the OP I just want to say that I am not trying to make fun of your situation, I am trying to give you a laugh today since I know I would need one after dealing with that roo
hugs.gif
)

Time to dump the turd rooster. It is not worth the damage he is doing to you.
I agree that if you can't roast him yourself just put an add out for a free rooster.

However, bad roosters do taste yummy.
wink.png
Think of it as the revenge dinner.
big_smile.png

We roasted a people aggressive rooster a while back and he was delicious. His drumsticks where almost turkey sized! Meat was much darker and flavorful. Makes them store bought birds seem anemic.

I don't think you should have to go through such torture every time you go out with them. If I have a rooster I want to keep, I give him one warning. If he attacks me a second time he's gone. I didn't get chickens because I wanted to be attacked by a mini velociraptor.
Have you tried holding him and holding his head down until he resists no more? This works for me and nobody gets hurt or becomes dinner.

Quote:
woot.gif
yuckyuck.gif

Prairie Orca, I love the names, too! Hope you come to a decision about the roo & that peace is soon restored!

Long response is long...
lol.png

Quote:
Thank you. It certainly is frustrating. Had he no charm when he's not in attack-human mode I wouldn't be so reluctant to let him go.

Quote:
I don't know. It's heartbreaking just thinking about it. I can't keep him in the cage too long because it's supposed to house the baby chicks, who are arriving later this week. He is dangerous, but he's been improving with the hens and is a great guardian so I'm still hoping that he can change.

Quote:
Yeah, when he's attacking it isn't really that pleasant.

Quote:
Well that doesn't really apply to me, lol. I've never killed an animal before. I have relatives and friends of my parents who could do it, but it's still upsetting.

Quote:
I usually come up with better names, but the temporary ones became permanent.
lol.png

Initially the guy that was interested did have the nice big farm with lots of girls... but that didn't work out. I'll try and consider putting up an ad... need to convince myself first.

Quote:
Yeah I need to start preparing myself for one part of the chicken-keeping venture that I wanted to get into, and that's eating the chickens I raise. At this point it's proving very difficult.

Quote:
Hehe, yeah. Velociraptors are nasty.
tongue.png

I've held him, but not really the head down part. I'll try it out.

7&8 :

Quote:
woot.gif
yuckyuck.gif

Prairie Orca, I love the names, too! Hope you come to a decision about the roo & that peace is soon restored!

lol.png
Thanks!

What's making the get-rid-of-Itchy solution really difficult is that I know for certain it will adversely affect Scratchy. For several hours yesterday I could hear the two of them crowing back and forth.
sad.png

Earlier this morning I checked on Itchy. He did the woo-the-hen trick (picking up some of the shavings and making that funny noise). I opened the cage and stroked him on the neck. At first he was pecking at me, but I "pecked" back and he stopped. He stood there, and looked very calm. I decided to make 24-hour-confinement to just 18. I took Itchy out, which proved tricky because he wanted out so bad but his excitement kept him from getting through the opening of the cage.

I carried him toward the flock, and gently placed him down some fifteen feet away. Itchy lowered his wings and charged at Scratchy, and Scratchy jumped up and they both spurred at each other. Then Scratchy chased Itchy every now and then, pecking at him. I stayed with them for about ten minutes to make sure nothing serious happened. I was pleasantly surprised - Itchy wasn't being so pushy with the hens, he wasn't charging at me, and Scratchy kept him in his place. At one point I chased him when he started having that look on his face, and at other points I chased him when he wasn't letting the hens eat first (he still has bad manners). I hope this improvement is permanent, because I sure enjoyed being out with them for the first time in a long time.​

If you wouldn't tolerate a person treating you that way, why put up with it from an animal of any kind? It sounds like you've given it a great effort and lots more than I would have, but peace and happiness for yourself and the rest of the flock needs to be more important now. Get him outta there!

Human aggressive roos will always be human aggressive and that will not change regardless of how much time you give the animal. I had a roo like that until last week when he nearly really hurt someone. You are setting yourself up for a bad day in the future when he is going to attack you and do some real damage. My advice is to get rid of him. Number 2 Roo seems like he might be promising.

Good luck.

I hope Itchy learned from the sequestering. I can understand the reluctance to get rid of him, and as long as you don't have kids around who could be attacked and he has stopped hurting the hens you can keep trying until you are tired of it or he finally learns. If he strikes again, sequester right away so he sees it as consequences for his behavior. Hopefully the other roo will clearly establish himself as the boss. Honestly I don't think Sratchy minds Itchy being apart from the flock. I see the crowing back and forth as dominance behavior.

Quote:
Peace... oh how I love having that.

Quote:
If he makes another big attack one more time, I think then I will seriously consider getting rid of him. And yeah, Scratchy is a good rooster.

scratch'n'peck :

I hope Itchy learned from the sequestering. I can understand the reluctance to get rid of him, and as long as you don't have kids around who could be attacked and he has stopped hurting the hens you can keep trying until you are tired of it or he finally learns. If he strikes again, sequester right away so he sees it as consequences for his behavior. Hopefully the other roo will clearly establish himself as the boss. Honestly I don't think Sratchy minds Itchy being apart from the flock. I see the crowing back and forth as dominance behavior.

It seems he has learned - yesterday and today I would walk up to the flock to check on them, and Itchy kept his distance and showed no hint of aggression. There will be some small children in a few weeks for a family gathering, but I'll be sure to stay between Itchy and the kids the entire time and see how it goes. I like the idea of sequestering as a consequence - if it's needed at all, and it continues to provide a good result, maybe that's what I could do. It seems Scratchy has finally established himself as Alpha, and surprise surprise the two brothers can't get any further than ten feet from each other before realizing and scurrying to get back together. You're right, the crowing is about dominance... I just found it interesting that Scratchy followed his brother's voice to the source.

This afternoon I caught the chickens walking around on the near-ground-level part of the deck. I chased them off. A few hours later I found them roosting on the low railing of the lower deck. I approached Itchy as close as I could (any closer and the others would freak out), and all he did was look at me every once in a while. I like this new Itchy, I hope he sticks around!​

We had a very mean rooster last year (free range) and when I got tired of his attacking we put him on Craig's List. I couldn't even put clothes on the line without him running from the other side of the yard to attack. I was afraid for friends to bring small kids over.
We found him a home with a new flock of 20 hens---that were kept in a large pen. We are safe in our yard and he is much happier. We only had three hens and the larger flock keeps him busy. It was hard to send him away but in the ends it really was better for us all.
Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom