Rooster strikes again

you made the statement that he is a great guardian, that is exactly what he is doing, protecting his girls, but its gotten out of hand. Out of curiosity what breed is he, that can make a real diffrence. I have only had one roo that ultimately had to go because he was flying at and spurring anyone and anything. My suggest is get him out of your life however that needs to happen and focus on those new chicks.

I must disagree with all of you saying to put him on Craigslist. You are giving you problem to someone else. How would you like it to get a nasty rooster from someone just because they didn't want to deal with it? Put him down. Do it humanely. Would you give away a dog that bites? This is your chicken equivalent. If you aren't able or willing to reform the little fart, put him down and move on.
I just had to take care of one yesteday. It is not fun, it is not easy to stomach sometimes, but you shouldn't put up with crap from a rooster, especially if your other little guy is right there wanting to be the good boy. Also remember, if it is a teenage phase, he may out grow it. Then again, maybe not.

Quote:
Thank you. It certainly is frustrating. Had he no charm when he's not in attack-human mode I wouldn't be so reluctant to let him go.

Quote:
I don't know. It's heartbreaking just thinking about it. I can't keep him in the cage too long because it's supposed to house the baby chicks, who are arriving later this week. He is dangerous, but he's been improving with the hens and is a great guardian so I'm still hoping that he can change.

Quote:
Yeah, when he's attacking it isn't really that pleasant.

Quote:
Well that doesn't really apply to me, lol. I've never killed an animal before. I have relatives and friends of my parents who could do it, but it's still upsetting.

Quote:
I usually come up with better names, but the temporary ones became permanent.
lol.png

Initially the guy that was interested did have the nice big farm with lots of girls... but that didn't work out. I'll try and consider putting up an ad... need to convince myself first.

Quote:
Yeah I need to start preparing myself for one part of the chicken-keeping venture that I wanted to get into, and that's eating the chickens I raise. At this point it's proving very difficult.

Quote:
Hehe, yeah. Velociraptors are nasty.
tongue.png

I've held him, but not really the head down part. I'll try it out.

7&8 :

Quote:
woot.gif
yuckyuck.gif

Prairie Orca, I love the names, too! Hope you come to a decision about the roo & that peace is soon restored!

lol.png
Thanks!

What's making the get-rid-of-Itchy solution really difficult is that I know for certain it will adversely affect Scratchy. For several hours yesterday I could hear the two of them crowing back and forth.
sad.png

Earlier this morning I checked on Itchy. He did the woo-the-hen trick (picking up some of the shavings and making that funny noise). I opened the cage and stroked him on the neck. At first he was pecking at me, but I "pecked" back and he stopped. He stood there, and looked very calm. I decided to make 24-hour-confinement to just 18. I took Itchy out, which proved tricky because he wanted out so bad but his excitement kept him from getting through the opening of the cage.

I carried him toward the flock, and gently placed him down some fifteen feet away. Itchy lowered his wings and charged at Scratchy, and Scratchy jumped up and they both spurred at each other. Then Scratchy chased Itchy every now and then, pecking at him. I stayed with them for about ten minutes to make sure nothing serious happened. I was pleasantly surprised - Itchy wasn't being so pushy with the hens, he wasn't charging at me, and Scratchy kept him in his place. At one point I chased him when he started having that look on his face, and at other points I chased him when he wasn't letting the hens eat first (he still has bad manners). I hope this improvement is permanent, because I sure enjoyed being out with them for the first time in a long time.

Don't mistake their competing as companionship. I would find it very hard to believe that Scratchy will miss Itchy. It sounds like the latter stresses the former and you would have a happy and calm yard. Roos will crow, even when they are the only boy there. They have something to really crow about if they are the only boy in the flock!
lol.png

There is no reason to go to the roosters level unless you are another rooster. Boot him without looking or saying anything so he doesn't think he has to compete with you. There is no real cure for this, try the lookaway boot and wait until Spring is over and see if he stops on his own. If he refuses to stop perhaps someone else can take him.

I had a SLW rooster last year that attacked me on two separate occasions. He then began attacking a friend EVERY time he came over. He got booted all over the yard. Then my son moved back in and was attacked on a regular basis. He turned into a yummy pot of chicken and dumplings. I currently only have one adult roo. He's a silkie. He has never attacked anyone. I have some chicks I'm raising now. If any turn out to be mean roos, they will turn into chicken and dumplings, also. I own them. They don't own me...

When I was a kid we had a really mean leghorn roo. He would attack us evertime we went in the coop. I carried a tennis racket in with me one day and let him have it. He stayed away from me after that. (please remember I was about 10 years old and when I let him have it I mearly knocked him a few feet)! Don't kill him. We currently have a roo that for whatever reason does not like my husband. Everytime he comes in the roo goes for him. He carries a broom with him, and this alone seems to keep him in his place. The only time he comes at me is if I try to pick up one of his girls. He is just a "teenager" so I hope he doesn't get any more aggressive but so far we have kept him in his place. There are 2 roos in the pen and so far they are compatable.

Quote:
I definitely agree. Its not fair to the person that would be getting him to find out later that he is agressive. Its false "advertising"

Back
Top Bottom