Rooster struck at husband, now me. What can I do?

Our population grew significantly and we had an eagle and a great tufted owl feeding families.I could have killed it and thrown it out but what a waste.I allowed them to free roam during the day and some were taken except for the broody hens.I believe in nature.

I know but my thing is the terror the ones that are taken have got to feel as they're being ripped apart by multiple birds talons and beaks. Poor poor babies with no one to protect them. What an awful painful terror-filled death.

I’ve had the same issue with a rooster I raised from one day old- I also was distressed because most people kept saying to give him away (which never bodes well for the rooster) or put him in a pot- ack! He is part of my family now! I’ve been involved with animals my entire life and it’s important to meet them where they are, not try to bend them to thinking like humans. A rooster has one gig in life, besides the obvious of fertilizing eggs. He is there to protect and defend his gals, from anything and everything. Once I started paying attention to that, I stopped thinking he now hated me and had the potential to be a psycho behind my back. I read articles on rooster behavior (there are some good ones on this site and online as well); this helped me understand how they fulfill their biological drive for protecting hens. I paid attention to exactly what I was doing when he came after me or my husband. The end result was either we were too near his hen or we were invading his defined territory by entering the coop or section of yard he occupied. When I stopped staring at him and moved away from the area he was agitated about, he was fine again. With the right treats, he will even let me in the coop to clean. That way he gets to look fabulous to the gals because HE found the snacks (yes, I give them directly to him for distribution). If there are no hens around, he becomes my old boy again.

Not to take any chances, I also purchased knee-high heavy boots and thicker denim to wear when working around him. I don’t kick at him or push stuff in his face, that just makes him feel he is under attack. As far as my hands, if I don’t have gloves on I don’t put them within striking distance. Remember, he doesn’t hate you but is just doing his very important job.

We now have a good relationship which I enjoy, he didn’t meet a terrible fate, and I still love him. I’m not sure my hens would survive a predator-laden environment without his constant watchfulness and willingness to take the hit as long as his hens survive. I just watch him sometimes and marvel at the work he does and how stressful it must be when everyone is outside and he’s trying to keep track of them as well as any risks. Can you imagine if it were us? We would probably be running around with an ax chopping at everyone!

Anyway, I hope this was helpful- just don’t give up! You seem to have a bond with him so appreciate him for the beautiful guy he is. I’d love to see his picture if you could take one- this is my beautiful Billy.

View attachment 2030560View attachment 2030561
Mina you are a smart wonderful person. Of course he is doing the job he was programed for! He is beautiful and lucky to live w you!

Sorry! I went to sleep was not planning on a surprise nap but I got one lol.
Anyway for my boys the really bad stuff were maybe two months.
They're all a little unique though,so you have to have wiggle room absolutely everywhere.
You never get the same "bloom into manhood" you won't get bored lol.
I don't dread this stage anymore, can almost tell the second it starts by now.
The first time im absolutely dumbfounded, or mortified seems to be pretty accurate.
The only two constants he's going to confuse you or gross you out, typical teenager.:)
You are wise. My two boys are 15 mos. now and they went thru that behavior in their own way now being accepting of my husband and I and protecting their girls and the 10 brooded chicks like the best dads. Im so proud how they've behaved. Having said that there are people that come into our yard that one esp. rooster will go after but they percieve them as a threat.

EXACTLY- those methods work very well and that is living within his nature. Giving him snacks, like I mentioned before, lets him look like the big provider and elicits so much happiness as he is calling the hens over (you don't have to physically hand them to him but you do need to put them where only he has the stash and he distributes)! The clucking sounds he makes to call them are so distinct and they come flying while he watches them as protection.
This is such a nice idea! I have heard my JimFeathers making clucking sounds when I put food down for all and hes eating but i thought it was pure enjoyment of the taste of the food he was eating that elicited the clucking. Maybe hes feeling hes sharing w his family?

I didn't read every post, rather browsed through it all quickly so may have missed it.

Did anyone mention a good recipe for chicken soup? It really is the best therapy for ill behaved cockerels. To give that zest of spring go heavy on fresh rosemary. Mmm.

I used to have hatchery birds and propagate them. There's a lot to be said about how you handle yourself around animals. Then again once you've had standard bred birds an no troubles whatsoever with cockerels you come to the realization there is no need to "train" poorly behaved birds. Send them straight to the spa where their muscles are pampered with days of rest and then a simmering hot bath. Don't forget the rosemary.
I csnt do it. I cant take their lives. It makes me so sad. I feel tears welling up now typing this. Advice? Having said that we have killed w rat traps (rats).

Hello all just here to say Rudy wants to die lol. He’s so annoying, this morning he had to get a beating. I may have instigated but I was walking and he kept getting close and not moving away enough. So I stepped at him lol he got a few kicks and didn’t stop so he got picked up by his his tail, pecked on the head and carried. That’ll teach him for 3 days :rolleyes:. Even though I’m mad in the moment I feel a little guilty after.. I wish he’d just stop being an idiot.
in his rooster mind he must have felt you were invading his territory. Hes doing what mothef nature programmed him to do by not backing down. Its hard isnt it? They are truly victims of their hormones.

I’ve picked mine up and carried him around for a bit several times. It helps bring their ego down a notch. They learn to Keep a little distance if they don’t want to be dominated. Worth a try.
Yes i pick mine up and carty them around whenevet I can get my hands on them and they are always docile w me! (Except if im carrying the grkids in my arms. Then i have to walk backwards).

The one thing i know for sure about animal behavior is noone knows how, when, or why they do some of the things they do.
We can try to convince ourselves we have figured their natural instincts out. Then they will do exactly the opposite.
I never invade Rodgers space. But he will hear me in the shop and come looking for me and try to start a fight. I have found the biggest rooster cannot hurt me unless i am on my back under my wife's pick/up. The rest of the time i just ignore him. My wife on the other hand; if he hears her pulling in the driveway he goes looking to start a fight with her. I am beginning to thing her methods are only promoting his bad behavior. She grabs him tucks him under her arm and pets on him while she checks the mail, checks on her garden and the baby chicks, then drops him after she is on the porch.
As long as my son remembers to give me notice before he shows up with my 2year old granddaughter we will continue in our stalemate.
I seriously thought about a big pot of Rodger and dumplings for a couple hours the other day. Then i shared some of my grapes with him and watched as he called the ladies and literally picked the grapes up crushed them and dropped them back on the ground for each hen. He only ate the last one after the girls had migrated away.
So he went from "awe *%@&" to an "atta boy"...

Back
Top Bottom