Rooster struck at husband, now me. What can I do?

Pics
I would like to say first and foremost I am an animal lover.My first year of keeping chickens I had a mean bantam rooster.That was what brought me to this thread.I tried everything.One day I was crouching down pulling weeds and didn’t see him coming.He sliced my face open very close to my eye.I thought he had put my eye out.We lived in the woods.That night I put everyone in the coop except him.This went on until the owl took him.I no longer waste anytime with aggressive roosters.I like my eye site and was happy my face didn’t scar.
You are a bigger man than i.
I may be a big softy. I have a dog that i would be so relieved to see drop dead. But when a coyote got after him i had to go fight club on the yote. If he had sneaked up a little better and snapped Jacobs neck instantly, i would have been, "oh well, guess you eat good today". But i have seen the way they shake and worry and stretch their prey. I cannot allow that.

in his rooster mind he must have felt you were invading his territory. Hes doing what mothef nature programmed him to do by not backing down. Its hard isnt it? They are truly victims of their hormones.
True. But if you can keep them at a distance till their raging hormoans die down about 2 years old, they usually make a good rooster. But putting up with their shenanigans till they are thru puberty can take a toll on the girls and you.

Last edited:
The other day my husband was feeding my two chickens and he said that the rooster flew at his hand when he tried to pet him. I didn't see it, but today when I was feeding the chickens, my rooster struck at my hand...twice.

I'm not sure what to do or how to nip this behavior to get my precious boy back...

I'm a little bit emotional about it because I have been going through some health issues and the chickens have been one of the few joys in my life right now.

Hopefully it's not too late and he is doomed to be a mean rooster from now on...help!
Carry him around under your arm when you are in the garden. This will assert you as dominant and higher in the pecking order. Should work in a few days.

Carry him around under your arm when you are in the garden. This will assert you as dominant and higher in the pecking order. Should work in a few days.
Doesn't seem to work on mine. My wife has been doing that tucking him under her arm for about a year now. He never lets her come or go without starting something.
I can say i did finally get tired of him a couple weeks ago. I grabbed him stuck him between my knees and sat on him as i finished the project i was working on. He has been respectful since; about two weeks or a bit more.

Back
Top Bottom