Rooster stumbling like hes drunk...

I don't notice any unusual smell. His crop isn't hard but it does have food in it. He has food water and grit in the kennel with him. I'm going to let him rest for the night and reassess in the morning...I hate culling birds, but I also understand that is necessary for a healthy flock. I just hope whatever he has doesn't run through my flock. Im going to call a vet that was recommended by a friend that lives in farm country. Its about 40 minutes away but I need to know for knowledge sake. If nothing else, I like to learn from every situation...

That does sound result familiar. Unfortunately for him, I just don't have the resources to have all the tests done and a several day stay at the vets office. Nor do I have a vet that I believe would fall into the category of a "capable avian veterinarian". I will keep him isolated and as comfortable as I can and see what happens...I really appreciate the link. It seems I can always count on you, eggcessive, for a very informative link to back up what you say...makes you one of the select few on here that I know I can trust.

Thank you. So many diseases have similar symptoms, and most people can only guess what is wrong without a necropsy. California has free necropsies, but in most states there is a fee. Aspergillosis has no treatment, but sometimes they recover. I would bet it is something else though.

I never imagined all of the bad sides of keeping chickens...and I'm only three months old! But the good stuff has me yearning to figure out whatever needs to get figured out so I can have happy healthy birds...and great tasting fresh eggs.

Well, today was a bad day. My rooster was steadily getting worse. He could hardly stand and if he did, he would stumble backwards and eventually fall down. I talked to the vet a ways away and he said he believes that he had a stroke caused by some underlying long term illness. Another one of my Rhode island red hens was vomiting today and has had really green runny diarrhea for a long time now. She was very thin and not doing well. I made the hard decision to cull them both. I believe it was the right thing to do for both of them and for the rest of the flock. However, I did notice that two more birds have runny beaks. The vet told me that I could treat with Sulpha but they will be forever contagious. I will have to have a closed flock. My wife and I chose not to use antibiotics because we have children that are allergic and we try to eat organic and all natural whenever possible. So we will keep a watchful eye on the rest of our girls and weed them out when they get sick. Eventually we will be able to start over with a new perspective on chicken keeping and definitely a lot wiser. These lessons are hard to learn sometimes. Biosecurity is a real necessity. And don't buy birds from just anywhere. Do your research.

So sorry for your loss, but I admire your ability to make this decision. It is wise and responsible for you to be able to cull your sick chickens. Although it is unfortunate that you had to learn the hard way about using biosecurity when getting chickens from other people, I think it is great that you are sharing your experience for the rest of us to learn from. Many will read about your journey, and it might prevent them from making the same mistakes. I don't envy you having to put them down because I know you and your family have gotten attached to them, but just know you are doing the right thing.

I'm really sorry :( but any birds that may survive - breed them. Strong immunity passes on often . A Warren of rabbit's who contract myxamatosis - the disease wipes out most of the rabbit's, but the survivors pass on the genes leading to immunity to the ospring & the Warren grows again with a stronger resistance to the disease.
I hope no more of your birds die :(

Unfortunately, I don't have another roo and I can't in good conscience get another one knowing that he will contract this respiratory infection. The vet told me they are all exposed and will eventually exhibit symptoms. Antibiotics could help temporarily but it will recur. He told me once they are all gone, I have to scrub everything down with clorox and dig out the run two to three inches deep and replace it with fresh soil or sand. This isn't something that chickens will ever fully recover from. It is very contagious and is there as long as they live. I will get more chickens. I am forever addicted. Just not until these ones have all been culled a little at a time. I will let them live as long as they are symptom free. But will not add any.

Did he say if he thought they had mycoplasma? When there is disease in the flock, most of the respiratory diseases are dead by 3-4 days. Most site say to clean with 10 % bleach, Odoban, Oxine, or other disinfectant, then not to replace stock for 2 weeks. He is wrong about digging up the soil, unless he thinks there is Mareks disease, and that can't be irradicated from one's property. Here are a couple of articles to read about the life of mycoplasma:
http://umaine.edu/livestock/poultry/mycoplasma-gallisepticum-faq/
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps034
http://www.cfsph.iastate.edu/Factsheets/pdfs/avian_mycoplasmosis_mycoplasma_gallisepticum.pdf

Back
Top Bottom