Rooster stumbling like hes drunk...

Paully3

In the Brooder
6 Years
Sep 11, 2013
The Thumb of Michigan
I just went out to the coop to give a mealworm snack and I noticed my Rhode Island Red rooster had a hard time getting up and coming over to me. When he finally did get up, he was stumbling back and forth and side to side and sometimes falling. As I am fairly new to chickens, I have absolutely no idea what this is or if its contagious or how to treat or what...please help. I'm at a loss. I've looked online and can't seem to find anything real quick. He is 3 years old, eats a diet of 16% layer crumbles with fire choice grit and occasional mealworms...

I just went out and checked on him and he won't get up and the girls were starting to peck at his feathers so I pulled him out of the coop and put him in the house in a dog kennel. I noticed that he was mouth breathing and that he has a considerable amount of drainage coming from his nostrils. I'm very concerned about this being contagious and running through my whole flock. This progressed very rapidly as last night he was fine. I check my birds every night when I close up the coop. His nostrils had no moisture and he was on the top roost. What is happening to my main man!

Ok, calm down... what is the roo like now?

Is he vaccinated?
Could anything have poisened him?
:(

I'm honestly not sure if he was vaccinated. We bought him and 6 hens from a farm a ways away. All between the ages of 1 and 4. They were beautiful heritage birds and obviously well cared for. The lady we bought them from got teary eyed when we were leaving. She didnt want to sell them but had to because of finances. But vaccines? I dont know. Everybody else seems OK for now...

They are in an enclosed coop and run. They've been there since the end of July
I can't imagine what could have poisoned him...and if so, wouldn't it b more than just him?

Not if the coop is accessable by some miserable neighbour who's slipped him something because he's fed up of noise :(
I had a friend who neighbour was so mean he stole their roo suddenly and threw it to his dog. .. ALIVE!
They moved away from him...
Have you researched the roos symptoms ?
Internets really good for quick information in these situations. ..
Keep updating us

I did some research but all I can find is other people with similar symptoms. No diagnosis...some chickens died, some made it through...all kinds of different treatments. I have no idea where to begin. I wormed my flock a little over three weeks ago and gave Corid the last week. Now I'm giving vitamins and electrolytes. I do have a card-carrying crazy neighbor lady whom I absolutely do not trust, but we also have a very large Great Dane that doesn't like said neighbor. She avoids entering our property at all costs and there is no way she could get to them otherwise. Besides, he hasn't really crowed since we've had him. Only very quietly for a little while when we first got them and not for a couple months...we just thought he was a good quiet polite rooster...Lol.

How was he?

I'm sorry I can't be much help, just entered the chicken keeping 10 weeks ago or so.

I hate it when there's no prognosis available, sadly the internet is a wealth of information , but its also huge.

Back
Top Bottom