Rooster suddenly died

wrenhen

Songster
May 14, 2021
Midwest
My beloved rooster died today. He normally roosts on the lowest bar right by the coop door, and I found him today on the ground in that exact spot dead. I thought maybe he died defending the door but he was unharmed. He was just dead, with blood coming from his mouth. He was only 1 year and 4 months old. Just the day before he was entirely himself. Kicking me, crowing, running around, mating. It’s like he went to bed and died.
He was fed dumor all flock feed, with granite grit free choice if he wanted. I fed snacks like fruits, veggies, mealworms. The only snack he had the day before he died was our Halloween pumpkins.
From what I’m googling it just seems like something that can happen, just sudden death.
Idk if anyone else has experienced a suddenly dead chicken with blood in their mouth.

ABD6474F-FB08-4994-B8A7-FB04FCA3EE15.jpeg

My beloved rooster died today. He normally roosts on the lowest bar right by the coop door, and I found him today on the ground in that exact spot dead. I thought maybe he died defending the door but he was unharmed. He was just dead, with blood coming from his mouth. He was only 1 year and 4 months old. Just the day before he was entirely himself. Kicking me, crowing, running around, mating. It’s like he went to bed and died.
He was fed dumor all flock feed, with granite grit free choice if he wanted. I fed snacks like fruits, veggies, mealworms. The only snack he had the day before he died was our Halloween pumpkins.
From what I’m googling it just seems like something that can happen, just sudden death.
Idk if anyone else has experienced a suddenly dead chicken with blood in their mouth.

View attachment 3313930
So sorry for your loss. 🥺

I thought maybe he died defending the door but he was unharmed. He was just dead, with blood coming from his mouth. He was only 1 year and 4 months old.
I'm sorry to hear about your rooster:(

To find out more about the cause of death send the body to your state lab for testing. https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html

The only time I've ever had a bird with blood inside the beak was because of some type of injury. Predator, fighting, etc.
Since he slept by the door, could a predator have attacked him?

I'm sorry to hear about your rooster:(

To find out more about the cause of death send the body to your state lab for testing. https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html

The only time I've ever had a bird with blood inside the beak was because of some type of injury. Predator, fighting, etc.
Since he slept by the door, could a predator have attacked him?

That’s my only thought, he ALWAYS slept by the door, like right by the entrance. There’s no torn feathers or flesh, but maybe a predator of some kind kicked him or something? Idk what could’ve opened the door and just whacked him. I’m gonna speed up installing the auto/lock door though after this. The door right now is not a locked door, it can be opened by a really clever animal sliding it from the bottom.

Hmm...I don't know.
I had first though the door was open, but if it was closed...that complicates things.

If you have a predator lurking about, setting up a game cam can give you that information.

Back
Top Bottom