Rooster Sudden Death

Wi_Pida

Songster
Mar 21, 2019
Gresham, Wisconsin
My cockerel, Emeril, died suddenly today. I went outside before going to work at approximately 4:30 p.m. ,my husband went out about 5:30 to 5:45 p.m. to feed and found Emeril dead.

When I came home from work tonight I check over Emeril and there was no signs of injury, lice, mites or worms. He was absolutely healthy! At 4:30 when I checked him before going to work he was up on the new roost crowing away and jump down was doing his fancy dance for the girls. There was no sign of illness in him whatsoever (no weight loss, far from being lethargic, nice bright shiny feathers, nice red beautiful cone and wobble). Prior to Emeril's death he was not showing any signs of respiratory issues either. I don't know if he had a heart attack, I know that even at 7 months old that is always possible. My concern is the rest of the flock.

The fact that he was with is the flock I rescued three weeks ago this past Saturday is what concerns me. They were mite, lice and worm infected which I'm still treating for the worms. But the mites and lice are eradicated. I'm not really sure what type of worms they have but they are being treated organically with that. I had only put Emeril and two other cockerels into the pen with them 3 days ago. Before that, I had three other roosters with them. I was swapping out my roosters with these hens and none of the other boys have had problems. The flock size is 65 hens. I mainly put the cockerel in there to protect them the hens from the predatory birds and other animals we have in my neck of the woods. The original flock has 64 hens and are pasture ranged.

With Emeril dying suddenly I took my two other cockerels,Cheech and Chong, out of the rescue quarantine area as a precaution and put them in my other quarantine area. The other three cockrels that I had with them before switching out to Emeril, Cheech and Chong have showed no signs of illness. I checked them regularly.

Could there be possibly something I'm missing that caused Emeril's death. Is there anything that I should be looking for with both flocks and the two cockerels that I have in quarantine?

I truly hate not knowing what happened and wonder if my original flock is in danger.

Could he have gotten bitten by something? Do you have poisonous spiders, bugs, or snakes in your area? How hot/smoky is it were you are? The best way to know for sure, would eb to send his body to a state lab for testing. @Eggcessive can tell you more about sending him in. I am sorry for your loss

Could he have gotten bitten by something? Do you have poisonous spiders, bugs, or snakes in your area? How hot/smoky is it were you are? The best way to know for sure, would eb to send his body to a state lab for testing. @Eggcessive can tell you more about sending him in. I am sorry for your loss
I don't think he got bit by anything poisonous. I live in North Central Wisconsin. The weather has been drastically changing. Last week we were in the 70s and this week we're in the '50s during the day. In the evening, temperatures can get as low as 30° right now. But his sudden death happened during the daytime. I would love to send him in to find out what happened the cost is definitely an issue. I've done necropsies before and in fact one of the birds that I just culled have a rather large cyst. I did not do a necropsy on Emeril. I was thinking of doing that tomorrow morning. Maybe I can get some more answers. When doing the necropsy any idea of what I should be looking for like maybe an enlarged heart?

Sorry for your loss. Could he have been bumped or hurt by another rooster? I have done probably a dozen necropsies, and I can spot certain conditions in the old hens I have lost. But I am not very confidant of spotting a heart problem. There are many online sources that may help, but if you do the necropsy take pictures of the heart and other organs, especially the liver, spleen, intestines. Look for yellow fluid in the abdomen, or a white film on the surface of organs. Look for any coating on the heart or excess fat. Others are much more knowledgeable on necropsies.

Since these were rescue animals it could be something from their past before you got them. I used to do reptile rescue and had one particular green tree python that had septicemia when I got him, missing scales and almost no teeth. After getting him healthy and looking good he was just dead one day. turned out his liver failed. he had been dehydrated for long periods in the past and even though he was outwardly healthy looking, the old damage caught up with him. I would suspect that it was similar with your roo. if he had mites and lice and was generally not cared for well at an early age he could easily have internal maladies that you could not see or treat. or , having treated them, it was just too late. Sorry for your loss, It is a reality of rescue animals, some don't make it. That does not make it an easier to lose one, but you should know that it was not caused by your lack of effort or caring.

The only way to know for sure is to send him to one of your diagnostic labs for necropsy.
Over the years, I've had a lot of necropsies performed. I have had 3 roosters drop dead quickly. On one occasion, I opened a coop, the rooster came out with his hens and he started dancing for them and mating. In the two minutes it took me to open the next building, I looked back and the first rooster was dead. Necropsies showed that all three roosters died of a heart attack.
Sudden death can be from many things though.
If you want to go that route, call them and they may send you a FedEx label for shipping the "laboratory sample".

Wisconsin Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory
University of Wisconsin-Madison 445 Easterday Lane
Madison, Wisconsin 53706-1253
Phone: 608-262-5432 ext. 2227

USGS National Wildlife Health Center
6006 Schroeder Road
Madison, Wisconsin 53711-2531
Phone: 608-270-2400

Back
Top Bottom