Rooster suddenly lethargic and swollen left cheek

Bee stings and tick bites can cause swelling of the face and head. I think you have very slim chances of having Newcastles, since the cases in California were the first ones in the US in 30 years. But a necropsy would not hurt to rule out other diseases, and find out what he had.

I just saw your video. Can he move his legs and wings? He looks like he may have wry neck (torticolis) and that can be a symptom of Mareks disease and is also seen in some end stage respiratory diseases. Mareks can still be possible in vaccinated chickens. But there could be something else causing neurological symptoms. Toxins from mold, lead in the soil, poisons used around farms, waste from an automotive or heavy equipment spill, or poisonous plants have been known to kill. So sorry for your rooster. I would get a necropsy if he dies.

here are some more pictures
IMG_5582.JPG
IMG_5588.JPG

He looks very ill, and has gone downhill very quickly. @Wyorp Rock lives in NC, and probably would have good advice with necropsy information. Remember to refrigerate, but not freeze his body. Is he still alive? Does he move at all? His wry neck is obviously a neurological symptom, perhaps from Mareks, or a severe respiratory disease. Make sure that he is separated from your other chickens, and use good biosecurity measures with handwashing. So sorry that he is so ill.

Edited to say, here is a list by @Wyorp Rock in post #4 of the labs available for necropsy in NC:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...tic-labs-by-state-under-construction.1223966/

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom