Rooster suddenly lethargic and swollen left cheek

So none of my other chickens are sick since him. I beleive this may just be a isolated case. I will continue to monitor and we are working to remove stagnant water around the property but it’s winter which makes it hard.

Does anyone know, if chicken cholera is like mg where they are carriers for life? Or is it just the got sick from a contaminated source and they get over it or die just like a regular skin infection or something similar? They did not make me quarantine which makes me think they do not become carriers.

So none of my other chickens are sick since him. I beleive this may just be a isolated case. I will continue to monitor and we are working to remove stagnant water around the property but it’s winter which makes it hard.
Does anyone know, if chicken cholera is like mg where they are carriers for life? Or is it just the got sick from a contaminated source and they get over it or die just like a regular skin infection or something similar? They did not make me quarantine which makes me think they do not become carriers.

Do you mind posting a copy of the final report you received from the lab (cover your personal information)?
https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poultry/fowl-cholera/overview-of-fowl-cholera
http://www.thepoultrysite.com/diseaseinfo/61/fowl-cholera-pasteurellosis/

upload_2019-1-17_9-23-24.png
upload_2019-1-17_9-23-24.jpeg

Thank you so much for sharing your necropsy report from the vet. Sorry that it turned out to be fowl cholera. Glad that you aren’t seeing any other sick birds. The disease is carried by wild birds and rodents (rats and mice, etc.) I would try to make sure those can’t get to your feeders and waterers, treat for any rodent problems, repair any drainage problems, and try to prevent puddes. It is a lot of work. I have wild birds (starlings) year round anymore, and it can be hard to keep them out of my coop. They are nasty birds. Hopefully, this is an isolated case. I have looked online for any fowl cholera vaccines and cannot find anyone that sells them. The Merck Manual link is very good to read.

Back
Top Bottom