Rooster survived fox attack but not well

Pics

Ale11

In the Brooder
Oct 8, 2019
Hey guys, just joined and hope to get a little direction here.

Our pet rooster was caught up in a fox attack last night. I actually thought he had been taken but on checking the coop this morning found him! He was standing with his head/comb on the floor, and occasionally moving around. I could not find any injuries other than missing some neck feather, and it looks like he received a crush injury to his neck by how he stands.

I have brought him inside and put him in a quiet place, and he has gone from looking stressed to lying down on his keel and resting. He is in a large wire crate on polar fleece, and I put a towel on top so it is a bit darker.

It's been about 20 hours since the attack, I guess. He is not drinking or moving about but it seems to be more soreness than anything else. He had one small poop this afternoon.

I have managed to syringe him some sugar water about an hour ago, but don't think it's enough. He is a big Brahma rooster. I was also recommended to look at giving him some child's ibuprofen but not sure this is a good idea if he isn't really drinking at the moment.

Any advice on how much more water to give him, and anything else, would be appreciated!

I think you're doing great so far. Keep him inside, dry and warm. You can offer bread soaked in water if you're worried about him not getting enough fluids. Boiled eggs smashed up is also good. Nutri Drench is also good to give. As for pain, I believe baby aspirin is okay, I am not sure about the dosage though.

Thanks! I am mostly worried because he's not drinking, just lying there. I am only getting a couple ml into him each time as I have to syringe then encourage him to swallow. He is very droopy. I don't want to make it worse for him if he is sore.

Our pet rooster was caught up in a fox attack last night. I actually thought he had been taken but on checking the coop this morning found him! He was standing with his head/comb on the floor, and occasionally moving around. I could not find any injuries other than missing some neck feather, and it looks like he received a crush injury to his neck by how he stands.

I have brought him inside and put him in a quiet place, and he has gone from looking stressed to lying down on his keel and resting. He is in a large wire crate on polar fleece, and I put a towel on top so it is a bit darker.

It's been about 20 hours since the attack, I guess. He is not drinking or moving about but it seems to be more soreness than anything else. He had one small poop this afternoon.

I have managed to syringe him some sugar water about an hour ago, but don't think it's enough. He is a big Brahma rooster. I was also recommended to look at giving him some child's ibuprofen but not sure this is a good idea if he isn't really drinking at the moment.

Any advice on how much more water to give him, and anything else, would be appreciated!
No, I don't think aspirin is a good idea. That poor thing. It does happen and I'm sorry to say this. Even if you bring him to a vet, injury to chickens happens because other animals are preditor. Just make him comfortable and talk to him, he may snap out of it. I once had a hawk come after my hen, she crouch down, I thought it was the end so scary to watch then she just popped up like nothing happened. If he improves you can take him to a vet. If you have Gatorade keep him hydrated. Maybe a heat lamp keep him warm for healing faster. I wish you all the best. He sounds like a strong rooster. Just keep letting him know you care, is all you can do!

No, I don't think aspirin is a good idea. That poor thing. It does happen and I'm sorry to say this. Even if you bring him to a vet, injury to chickens happens because other animals are preditor. Just make him comfortable and talk to him, he may snap out of it. I once had a hawk come after my hen, she crouch down, I thought it was the end so scary to watch then she just popped up like nothing happened. If he improves you can take him to a vet. If you have Gatorade keep him hydrated. Maybe a heat lamp keep him warm for healing faster. I wish you all the best. He sounds like a strong rooster. Just keep letting him know you care, is all you can do!

If the chicken is in pain, baby aspirin is fine to give. Go and take a look on google, many people offer it to their chickens if they're in a lot of pain.

Thanks! I am mostly worried because he's not drinking, just lying there. I am only getting a couple ml into him each time as I have to syringe then encourage him to swallow. He is very droopy. I don't want to make it worse for him if he is sore.

It's about 29 degrees C here and comfortable in the house, is it too cool for a big chook? Generally we have issues keeping Brahma cool not the other way around. Is there a way to tell if he is feeling cold?
I'm sorry to hear about your rooster.

Where are you located in the world? 29C (84F) should be warm enough for him.
You mention that he must have suffered a crushing injury to the neck by the way he stands - can you share some photos?
Did you look under all his feathers to make sure there's no puncture wounds?

I would continue to give the sugar water. You can also try holding a cup or large spoon up to his beak to see if he will drink on his own. Poultry vitamins that contain E and B vitamins once a day if you have them. Hydration is more important than food. Watermelon may be enticing. You can offer him a little wet soupy food or scrambled egg to see if he will take that.

Personal opinion here - I'm not a fan of giving pain medication when it comes to injuries that might have internal injury (foxes squeeze). If you do feel like he needs something Aspirin can be given. A vet can also prescribe pain medication. Aspirin dosage is to dissolve Five 5 grain aspirin into 1 gallon of water. Offer free choice - see there again - the chicken really needs to be drinking on their own. You can syringe it into him like you do the sugar water. I would sweeten the Aspirin solution since it can be bitter.

I hope he recovers soon, keep us posted.

Hi, I'm in Australia. I did check everywhere, but I'll check again today. When it happened he was quite distressed so I didn't want to use a fine tooth comb.

Chester made it through last night and had some good rest. I was able to get him to drink a little with a cup this morning but he's too miserable to accept anything else. At least he will try to drink a little now so that's good. I will try to see about the aspirin later today. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom