Rooster tails

Elitefarm

Songster
5 Years
Jan 9, 2019
Washington
My rooster is molting but as his feathers begin to grow back the hens pluck them. Is there anything I can buy or make similar to a hen saddle but that will cover his entire tail? My hens dont eat each other's feathers I think it's the green shiny feathers they seem to be drawn to.

I have them on flock feed 20% protien and give them eggs once a week, they definitely have plenty of protein they do it while just standing around, they watch his tail and pick it. I've put in lots of things as well to distract them but even then they still do it. I originally increased their protein intake as I received two egg eaters and I realized those two were lacking protien but since then I haven't had a single egg eaten. But ever since Ive had a rooster they've never had tails, although my bantam coop they have eaten his beard instead of tail but since I've added toys it's been starting to grow back.

No mites and they have almost a full acre between 16 chickens :/ I think it's more he's just too sweet to care. I've tried the pinless peepers with no success and sadly there is about 6 hens doing it at least :( that's why I was hoping I could make a saddle like thing or like a tail bag for a horse

Give your dude some ground up rice & peas to boost his feather-aiding amino acid intake Make this addition a part of his 10% treat ration as it will reduce his overall protein intake, but the loss there is more than made up for by the particular amino acids he needs for fast, strong feathers. You could actually offer this as a treat for your whole flock, as they might be picking on him to gain those same amino acids.

Give your dude some ground up rice & peas to boost his feather-aiding amino acid intake Make this addition a part of his 10% treat ration as it will reduce his overall protein intake, but the loss there is more than made up for by the particular amino acids he needs for fast, strong feathers. You could actually offer this as a treat for your whole flock, as they might be picking on him to gain those same amino acids.

Cooked or raw? And I assume brown rice? I have some hens I think might benefit from this, that have lost feathers due to heavy breeding and may also be heading into moult.

Cooked or raw? And I assume brown rice? I have some hens I think might benefit from this, that have lost feathers due to heavy breeding and may also be heading into moult.
I personally use white rice, the point is to get the amino acids, not the goodness of whole grain fiber :drool If you're using peas (not beans) with the rice, then it's your choice if you wish to serve it raw or cooked, but peas taste MUCH better when cooked. If peas are pricy in your area, you can add beans instead, but beans must be cooked first. There's something in some types of dried beans that's toxic, and I prefer to err on the side of caution with BEANS. Peas are dirt cheap here (about $1 a pound, regardless of color).

I would say boredom is why they are doing it besides bright and shiny, I toss a random head of lettuce out in the yard for em to play with, different piles of random weeds, and considering making a chicken swing for them to play on

Back
Top Bottom