1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rooster to hen ratio

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by TxCritter, Apr 14, 2009.

1. TxCritter

TxCritter Out Of The Brooder

Mar 9, 2009
    Farmersville
    Is there a standard rooster to hen ratio? I'm looking to put a rooster with 3 maybe 4 hens.

2. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    10 to 1

3. PQ

PQ Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    Platina, Ca.
    I have 3 hens to one rooster when possible.

4. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    That will be fine. If you had two roosters, it wouldn't work. I've seen estimates on here of approx. 8-10 hens per rooster when roosters are together in a flock, the more hens the better.

You can have as little as one hen with a rooster by themselves.

5. TxCritter

TxCritter Out Of The Brooder

Mar 9, 2009
    Farmersville
    Thank you for your replies.Now another question....should I keep the rooster and hens penned together all year round?

6. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    I do at this point--This moment I have 1 roo 3 hens-

7. PQ

Feb 5, 2009
    Platina, Ca.
    It depends on the size of pen. I have some that free range all day they are standards and I just use them for eggs and the roosters for protection. The smaller breeds I try to let free range for a couple of hours everyday, sometimes it is hard because I do not let them out at the same times as I have differnet breeds. My Seramas are in a very large 40X40 pen and they do not come out to free range but we do give them lots of things to play with.
    It just depends how you personaly feel and what size of birds you have.
    In any case just remember it is also suppose to be fun, so just do what makes you and your birds happy! [​IMG]

8. jholler

jholler Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2009
    Jonesboro, AR
    The chicks I'm raising are 14 hens and 2 roos, but my grown "mutt" chickens are 2 hens and 2 roos...it was 3 roos but the dachshund got one. They get along fine.

9. PQ

Feb 5, 2009
    Platina, Ca.
    I found if you put the roos in before they start to understand they are roos, the older roosters seems to leave the youngers ones alone.

10. NeeCee51

NeeCee51 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2013
    I've been trying to figure out a ratio of hens to roosters and I am happy to see your post. I started with one rooster and three hens. My hens hatched five babies about 15 weeks ago and now I have three males and two females to add to the others. I am having a hard time getting rid of the three baby roosters but I do want them to have more hens. I am getting 4 more hens and according to your post that should be OK. Do you think that would be enough roosters to hens?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by