Rooster.. to kill or keep?

anyas eggs

Hatching
Feb 21, 2021
I am looking for some advice. Not sure how to handle my rooster, so I will explain the situation and ask for thoughts.

I have a flock of 33 hens and one rooster. I have rehoused two hens and likely will rehouse 2 more for spacing and because food is expensive. I have tried to rehouse the rooster but no takers. Anyway, my rooster is missing a tail because hens are plucking his feathers. He is not aggressive towards me, but does mount the hens. No spurs. He is rather loud.

I wonder if removing (killing & eating) him will help with the atmosphere. Like I said hens seem crowded and they are a little aggressive towards each other - nothing crazy but some standoffs. I do not want chicks. Hens are laying good now. There is a good space under hen house that birds access but not me, so afraid I won't get to incubating eggs in spring.

I think this is all the considerations. WHAT TO DO?

The one and only thing you must have a rooster for is fertilizing eggs. If you don't want to breed, you do not NEED him. However, it sounds like you have other issues going on... and a good rooster can possibly help break up squabbles between hens.

From the sounds of it I think overall you need to reduce the size of your flock, maybe by more than just 2 birds at a time. How much space do you have for 34 birds, both in coop and in outdoor space?

You might have an easier time selling him if you send a few girls with him and sell them as a small starter flock. They might be picking on him because they are over crowded.
And let me add, I have no problem culling and eating extra or unwanted birds, I just don't think removing only the rooster is the answer from what you described. You need to downsize, and like I said above, selling a starter flock could be an easy way to do it.

Do you free range your flock?
A rooster would help with alerting the flock of a predator.
It sounds like spacing is causing the pecking and stress in the flock.

I think it was a great idea given to you about advertising the rooster with some hens.

Like I said hens seem crowded and they are a little aggressive towards each other - nothing crazy but some standoffs.
What do you mean crowded?
How big is their coop and run, in feet by feet?
Dimensions and pics would be most helpful here.

There is a good space under hen house that birds access but not me,
Are they laying under there?

so afraid I won't get to incubating eggs in spring.
I thought you didn't want to hatch any chicks?

Oh, and.... Welcome to BYC! @anyas eggs
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1613996424773.png

Back
Top Bottom