Rooster to lose both legs: Quality of Life?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would definitely give him a few days of great food and treats and anything that keeps him happpy. Hold him on your lap if he likes that and then at some point end it as quickly and painlessly as possible.

I would see how it goes. If he still enjoying life then let him be. It is so upsetting to hear what he is going through. But that doesn’t mean he won’t be okay afterwards.
I would definitely give him a few days of great food and treats and anything that keeps him happpy. Hold him on your lap if he likes that and then at some point end it as quickly and painlessly as possible.

You two must not have read the update on 1/28/2023, that says he died:

UPDATE:

Chip is gone and I'm heartbroken. I had to be out of town these last few days and had his owner watch him. I pulled in when I got back to town and she came running out of the house screaming for me that he was dying.

Chip had his head curled over, eyes shut, mouth gapping open. Once in a while he would flop his head back and open his eyes but he wasn't really there anymore. He was in so much pain. I carefully scooped him up and ran outside to my husband and asked him to please put Chip out of his misery.

I gently stroked his head and gave him a kiss and I said my last I love you. My husband informed me he had a broken neck before he was put down, which was the source for all his pain and suffering. He had a quick and merciful ending.

We don't know what happened and I'm so sad for him. I'm just thankful I got to meet his sweet soul and give him a better life in the end. I still have a piece of him in his brother.

Rest in peace my little Chip ❤

I've been helping a friend with her large flock this winter in the northern Midwest. We had a nasty week long storm and 2 dozen chickens died. Many have frostbite and are losing toes, feet and legs. Mind you, they do not have a proper coop or quality care, unfortunately.

I took in and bonded to a little brahma rooster whose legs had already frozen solid twice before receiving him. Despite daily Epsom salt soaks, bag balm on his legs and keeping him in deep clean shavings, both legs turned jet black. One leg has entirely fallen off, not even a stumb left. If you have ever butchered chickens, the leg fell off right where you cut the legs off (hock joint).

Despite the entire leg coming off, he is getting around better on his belly, eating and drinking and in better spirits now than prior to the days leading up to it falling off. The other leg has begun the same process and I believe it too will also fall off at the hock joint. He cannot be fitted with prosthetics due to there being no stump to attach anything to.

He is such a sweet, loving and cuddly little rooster. But I am concerned about his quality of life. Due to the extent and location of his frostbite injuries, I don't know if it is in his best interest to live his life out with no legs. I'd love to keep him and care for a special needs boy like him, but I question if that's truly the right thing to do.

Any advice?
Anyone been through something similar? Or have had a chicken to have lost both legs entirely? I want to do right by him.
One of my roosters lost a foot last year. Because he is so tall, I just made him one once his stump was healed completely. I used a small plastic Shot bottle - the little 99 shotties.. cut off the neck portion of the bottle ? I put gauze in the bottom to protect his stump and some around where pressure would be and then wrapped it. It has worked well. He hustles around a lot more too. Good luck.

That's how I get with Sia and my current ones I'm still working through cullwise. I've done everything I can and it hasn't helped them. Which makes me feel like I failed even though I was pushing a Boulder uphill from the first sign.
Don't feel bad! You haven't failed! You gave it a try! More than others would have done! Myself included! We all do and try to the best of each of our own circumstances and situations!

I've been helping a friend with her large flock this winter in the northern Midwest. We had a nasty week long storm and 2 dozen chickens died. Many have frostbite and are losing toes, feet and legs. Mind you, they do not have a proper coop or quality care, unfortunately.

I took in and bonded to a little brahma rooster whose legs had already frozen solid twice before receiving him. Despite daily Epsom salt soaks, bag balm on his legs and keeping him in deep clean shavings, both legs turned jet black. One leg has entirely fallen off, not even a stumb left. If you have ever butchered chickens, the leg fell off right where you cut the legs off (hock joint).

Despite the entire leg coming off, he is getting around better on his belly, eating and drinking and in better spirits now than prior to the days leading up to it falling off. The other leg has begun the same process and I believe it too will also fall off at the hock joint. He cannot be fitted with prosthetics due to there being no stump to attach anything to.

He is such a sweet, loving and cuddly little rooster. But I am concerned about his quality of life. Due to the extent and location of his frostbite injuries, I don't know if it is in his best interest to live his life out with no legs. I'd love to keep him and care for a special needs boy like him, but I question if that's truly the right thing to do.

Any advice?
Anyone been through something similar? Or have had a chicken to have lost both legs entirely? I want to do right by him.
I would keep the rooster as long has it is getting around and doesn’t act depressed. I would let it live as long as the rooster . Obviously, you can tell because you said the rooster is in better spirits that he was before. All you can do is try you’ll know when it’s time.

I would keep the rooster as long has it is getting around and doesn’t act depressed. I would let it live as long as the rooster . Obviously, you can tell because you said the rooster is in better spirits that he was before. All you can do is try you’ll know when it’s time.
The rooster died last week, on 1/28/2023:
UPDATE:

Chip is gone and I'm heartbroken. I had to be out of town these last few days and had his owner watch him. I pulled in when I got back to town and she came running out of the house screaming for me that he was dying.

Chip had his head curled over, eyes shut, mouth gapping open. Once in a while he would flop his head back and open his eyes but he wasn't really there anymore. He was in so much pain. I carefully scooped him up and ran outside to my husband and asked him to please put Chip out of his misery.

I gently stroked his head and gave him a kiss and I said my last I love you. My husband informed me he had a broken neck before he was put down, which was the source for all his pain and suffering. He had a quick and merciful ending.

We don't know what happened and I'm so sad for him. I'm just thankful I got to meet his sweet soul and give him a better life in the end. I still have a piece of him in his brother.

Rest in peace my little Chip ❤

Any advice?
I'm sorry to have to say this, but anyone who can't provide a coop that is a good shelter and protection for their chickens and properly care for them shouldn't have them. If you can make that little rooster happy enough with good care, maybe he will have a fair quality of life. I hear about animals that loose limbs that make the most of life even after that, though I have never heard of one that lost all of their limbs. This breaks my heart.

I'm sorry to have to say this, but anyone who can't provide a coop that is a good shelter and protection for their chickens and properly care for them shouldn't have them. If you can make that little rooster happy enough with good care, maybe he will have a fair quality of life. I hear about animals that loose limbs that make the most of life even after that, though I have never heard of one that lost all of their limbs. This breaks my heart.
Bird isn't around anymore

We were predicted very cold temperatures where I live and I layered vaceline on my chickens' legs and feet and their combs and waddles to help protect them from frostbite. I also have a chicken who started molting during the cold weather. So I put her in a cage with straw food and water with a heat lamp in the garage until her feathers come back. I really love my chickens!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom